Wilson River steelhead

C
cdrieder
Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum and am excited to see all of the information given out. I just started fly fishing about a year ago and have never tried to fish for steelhead on the fly. Last year the Wilson was my favorite river to fish for summer steelhead. I am getting a steelhead fly rod tomorrow and wanted to head out on the Wilson to try to catch my first steelhead on the fly this week. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also have a 9ft 5wt fly rod that I have used out there and only caught a few small fish. I have always wanted to catch a cutthroat trout as well! So does anyone have any suggestions on equipment or flies? Do you tie your leaders and tippets the same you do for smaller trout that you would do for steelhead? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

C
cddunn
I saw 3 or 4 up high last week. They saw me too, so no dice. Be very sneaky.

W
waco
The summer run is pretty much done, if you are lucky and skilled you might find one! And I think cutthroat trout are on the Wilson right now!! and I use same knots for trout or steelhead

T
tnffishman
I wouldnt say the run is done by any means, it's just a matter of finding fish that aren't spooked which is near impossible in these water conditions. I've pulled a lot outta there this summer and gave up on it about 3 weeks back due to these reasons

R
rippin fish lips
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to have you hear. The Summer run is on it's very last swing and if definetly not over. There is plenty of fish in the systems still, it will just take some skill and some of time covering the water trying to find the spots where the hold in lowclear water. If you are where the fish are you are doing the first thing right. I would go up as high in the system as you can. I dont know the river but maybe

Brandon will pic up on this and throw you some ideas.

There is still summer runs trickling in right now in double digits the last few days.

C
cdrieder
Thank you for all of the great information. I appreciate it! I will do my best at covering some water this week and see what I can find. If anything comes of it I will certainly be sharing.

C
ChezJfrey
I don't believe the Wilson river is known for a large summer run, but they are there and since it isn't considered, by most, as a strong summer steelhead fishery, there might be a lot less pressure, so at least you have that going for you. But the water is low and clear, so stealth is probably key.

H
hookbait
I know for a fact where at least 5 of em were last weekend. But Chez is right the water is sooo clear it's really difficult right now. Basically I spent an hour stare'n at them, and they spent an hour watching my flies drift by, and probably laughing at me. At least they didn't bolt on my first cast so I guess I've improved abit.