Why am I only catching males?

T
tomriker
went out today for a couple hours in the middle of the day by myself. i got 8 fish and of those 7 were males... any idea why im catching males all of the sudden? they were all in under 5 ft of water. is it the males that build the nests? i can't remember.. if so.. that makes sense maybe why i was getting all the boys today...

T
the_intimidator03
If I do recall correctly the males ARE the nest builders and guarders. The females move in to spawn then retreat (i could be wrong too but its a 50/50 shot)

B
Bassdad54
females make the nests that is why thier tails are usally red from build the nest and the male hang around with them to guard the nest and will guard the fry after they hatch.The male will guard the fry until they get little over inch and then they can become a meal for the male as well I have seen the females tail half gone from fanning the bottom for the nests.There are usally 2 or 3 or 4 males that hang around them depending on the size of female.that many males around should have some nice females lurking around.big females will drw big males too

T
tomriker
thanks for the info bassdad, i only weighed the first 3, one was 4.20, another 3.90 and the 3rd was 3.50. the female had a nice belly goin' and was 4.80. the water was at 53 degrees too and the clarity is getting awesome! atleast double what it was last week! crazy it can clear up that fast... the wife told me i couldn't go today.. then her friend came down from portland.. so i just snuck out quick while they went to lunch :)

B
Bassdad54
One other thing the more dominate male will eventually be the one that guards the fry and the nest chasing away others....I like that you got out there on day like today I know you couldnt resist ...ha... I had to do some much needed yard work around my house so I wont feel guilty about it when I go to Tenmile in couple weeks...by the way nice catch on the weights

Last edited:
bass
bass
I think that in the spring that the males and females do not always move in at the same time. At least that was true in North Carolina. Thus, if you are fishing shallow and catching males then fishing a bit deeper sometimes helps to catch females. I have seen the opposite as well. Fishing the out on first break and catching nothing but males. Moved in to beat the bank and caught some nice females.

Still, the fish you caught were all really nice sized fish. I would be always be thrilled with a day like that.