Who's going opening day?

Gunga
Gunga
I was wondering who will be going to hagg lake opening day on march 5. i will be there for sure. ive been stocking up on new tackle recently just for hagg. hope i get to see some fellow OFFERS out there.

troutdude
troutdude
Not me.

I was out on Hagg for the very first time, for the 2010 opener. You would not believe how many idiots and low lifes there are out there. One moron kept driving his boat parallel to shore, about 40 feet from the bank! The bankies were pissed, and even throwing rocks at him (which he was oblivious to). Then, he went right at us. We had to drop what we were doing, and attempt to get out of his way. In the process, my buddy got his gear wrapped around our propeller. He was STEAMED!

I will go there again. But, not on a opening day (at least not a day, when the high temp was in the 60's).

T
TTFishon
I'll be at a different zoo called Wickiup!

S
slimyguts
NEVER on opening day. NEVER on free fishing weekend and NEVER when they have a big event (be it bicycle ride, run, etc...). Way too many stupid people. I also never take my kids anywhere near these areas during this time because I teach by example and dont want them to learn the stupid things some people do. We sometimes watch from the truck and my kids have learned to pick up on what is going on that should not be happening. Would only drive through as an educational trip for the kids...haha

Maybe the following weekend. I find that tuesday through thursday are most productive for all species.

Gunga
Gunga
ima be going where its hard for people to get to on foot. im going to go bushwacking to get to some old bass fishing spots i went to last year. i dont think those little kiddies and dumb people are going to be where im at. i hope everybody else has fun.

W
wormosa
i'll be there

Gunga
Gunga
awesome i hope to see you there. i will be targeting bass. and other panfish with jigs and lures.

L
Lamzy
I live in Forest Grove so the lake is only a 10 mile drive from home and I go fly fishing there all the time.I even have a yearly pass, BUT going on opening day would be insane, unless you like big crowds and crazyness.
I just think I will pass.
Bob in a fishing Kilt

Gunga
Gunga
lol i live in aloha 20 mins away. im also getting a yearly pass. but i plan on doing some bushwacking to get to some really good bass holes. im trying to avoid the main crowd that sits in chairs and drowns worms lol.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Opening day anywhere is usually a nightmare. Hagg used to be worse, when it opened in late spring, instead of late winter. But still, there's too many people out there on opening days, and on weekends in general. Love days off mid week because there's always fewer people. Bassing might be tough dude - so keep your spinners handy for the trout!

M
Moe
I'll be there.

Gunga
Gunga
i bringing a lot of my stuff for panfish and bass. and trout. i might even try to get some kokanee thats out there.

M
Moe
no kokes in hagg.

Gunga
Gunga
yeah there is. my aunt has caught some there.

M
Moe
It was probably just a bright rainbow or a cuttie but there may have been some in there illegally stocked but I just have never caught one or heard of one caught there.

Gunga
Gunga
a few years back the accidentally stocked kokanee in hagg. my uncle even asked the fish and wild life officer and he said that there was. but they kinda tried to keep it under wraps seeing as how it was embarrissing.

M
Moe
oh thats cool then, i hope i can catch one once the lake opens.

troutdude
troutdude
I had not heard about any kokes in Hagg either. It's not a very deep lake, nor very cool either. So, I don't think any introduced fish could successfully reproduce. But, maybe there's a few big kokes left over from that erroneous stocking?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
There's been a couple mis-stockings of kokes into Hagg over the years - or at least a number of kokes that got mixed in witht eh rainbows. First koke we caught out of there was back in the late 80's - it's pretty hard to mistake a koke for a rainbow - what with the forked tail, football shape, and stubby nose they have :) I've seen kokes caught a few times in the last few years out there as well. Hagg has some deep spots - 120+ feet when at full pool. Those spots still have to be 80+ feet deep at average low late season levels. While it's not exactly Merwin, Yale, or Green Peter, I can see a small population of kokes establishing itself out there. If they ever do actually get around to building the bigger, better dam out there, I really hope ODFW considers regularly stocking kokes out here. To my palate, they taste better than the average stocked rainbow, and I won't kill any of the few native cutts that hang on in Hagg. The last few trout I kept from hagg were white and soft :( The underdeveloped eggs one was carrying was the darkest part of the whole fish.

Wouldn't be surprised ifthe kokes I've seen out there were bucket biologist plants either - god knows that is how some of the fish got started out there.

Gunga
Gunga
thank you uncle mark for providing more info on the subject. i would never have known to that extent about the mistake stockings.