While cleaning the banks

T
Tai
Today, as my cousin and I fished various parts of the Clackamas from the bank, I was cleaning up a lot of the mess that a lot of other anglers had left behind. Then I was quite disappointed to find a dead fish obviously thrown into the bushes, because it was unwanted. The stench was terrible, and this was actually in a decently fished area.

I just wanted to know, "Why do people do this?" and "Would any you guys clean this up or do anything with it?" I have seen stuff like this before, but when I saw it today, I was pretty disappointed. I guess I've grown quite the appreciation for the fishing on the Clack.:confused:

T
Throbbit _Shane
Was it a squaw fish or carp? I know lots of people toss them on the bank when they are caught. supposedly they eat salmon/steelhead eggs or smolts

T
Tai
It was a carp.

B
beaverfan
It was thrown on the bank because it's an invasive species that many people do not want in our rivers. Not saying it's right or wrong but it's been common practice for years for fisherman to toss both Pikeminnow and Carp on the bank when caught.

R
rippin fish lips
Throbbit _Shane said:
Was it a squaw fish or carp? I know lots of people toss them on the bank when they are caught. supposedly they eat salmon/steelhead eggs or smolts

They do eat salmon/steelhead/trout eggs and smolts of salmon/steelhead/trout!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
IMO it's completely pointless to throw a carp or pikeminnow up on the banks if the restoration of a fishery is your goal... The sheer size of the populations are so massive you really are just stinking up the banks for everyone else. If you want to kill them, that's fine, but at least have the consideration to kill them as they are caught and throw them back in the water where they will decompose and possibly do some good.

B
bigdog
GraphiteZen said:
IMO it's completely pointless to throw a carp or pikeminnow up on the banks if the restoration of a fishery is your goal... The sheer size of the populations are so massive you really are just stinking up the banks for everyone else. If you want to kill them, that's fine, but at least have the consideration to kill them as they are caught and throw them back in the water where they will decompose and possibly do some good.

X2

W
wozniasm
Ditto!

troutdude
troutdude
X3 or 4.

If you toss 'em back into the water, they'll do the ecology a much better justice.

troutdude
troutdude
BTW,

Tai, welcome to the forum.

And I tip my hat to you, for caring about our environment and cleaning things up like you did. You da man! :clap::clap::clap:

troutdude
troutdude
HOLD ON EVERYONE!

It is ILLEGAL to "dispose of fish carcasses...in Oregon waters"!!!

That is direct quote, from the 2010 ODFW reg book....page 8, #15.

"Wasting fish...", is also illegal (same pg., #10).

P
Pita
I remember reading that too. Maybe the best thing to do is get a day permit for squawfish when you happen to be going fishing anyway, and then let ODFW pay you $5-10 a piece for the ones you catch. Ka-ching! :p

T
Tai
Thanks for the information guys! Also, I was inspired by many of you on here to help clean up the banks more, so the tipping of the hat goes towards all of you veterans as well. As for the invasive species, I dont understand, if the ODFW is willing to put a bounty on them then why do we need a special tag to harvest them?

C
ChezJfrey
troutdude said:
HOLD ON EVERYONE!

Whether one agrees or not, we are obliged to follow the rules above.

If one doesn't agree with the rule, then do work within the system to get those rules changed.

If the goal is to protect against invasive species, then it appears that one should take the caught fish home and dispose of it more appropriately.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
troutdude said:
HOLD ON EVERYONE!

Yup, that's what I meant. Do not throw them in the water. That's illegal.

B
bigdog
GraphiteZen said:
Yup, that's what I meant. Do not throw them in the water. That's illegal.

Yeah Yeah thats what you meant.

B
bigdog
troutdude said:
X3 or 4.

If you toss 'em back into the water, they'll do the ecology a much better justice.

troutdude said:
HOLD ON EVERYONE!

So what side are you coming from here? :lol:

T
Troutier Bassier
Pita said:
I remember reading that too. Maybe the best thing to do is get a day permit for squawfish when you happen to be going fishing anyway, and then let ODFW pay you $5-10 a piece for the ones you catch. Ka-ching! :p

If your talking about the Sport Reward fishery for Pikeminnow you can only turn in the fish caught from the Colombia river.