Which way to troll?

K
kwikfisher
Let say I was planning on trolling cut plug herring on the Siuslaw, and was launching from old town Florence, which direction would I troll based on the different tidal scenarios?
Up river? Down river after running up river? Up river after running down river etc. etc
Obviously I can looked to see what others are doing, but knowing the rational would be helpful. All hypothetical. Thanks!

E
eugene1
We always troll with the tide, that way the bait is coming to the fish from in front of it.

Good luck,

D
DrTheopolis
Yet another "ask ten different people, get ten different answers" question.

I think the best advice is to do what the other boats are doing, in the interest of "playing well with others."

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
we troll with the tide except near high or low slack; we will troll either way during ~45minutes or so each side of a slack tide. we don't do what other boats are doing but we also do not mess up other peoples fishing.

S
SLEDME
Trolling with the tide covers much more water and puts your lure or bait in front of more fish.Fish will sit nose into current when the tide is moving so you want your offering coming at them.

K
kwikfisher
All of this make sense except when you are trolling further up river, and tides influence lessens, what then? The river's current is stronger, so at that point aren't their noses just pointed up current?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kwikfisher said:
All of this make sense except when you are trolling further up river, and tides influence lessens, what then? The river's current is stronger, so at that point aren't their noses just pointed up current?

I am using 'tide' to refer to movement of the water, so when the current overcomes the incoming tide and the water starts moving out, we would turn and troll out with the flow of the water...

E
eugene1
rogerdodger said:
I am using 'tide' to refer to movement of the water, so when the current overcomes the incoming tide and the water starts moving out, we would turn and troll out with the flow of the water...

Same here, we always troll down river in areas not affected by tides or weak tides.

D
DirectDrive
Yep, troll "downhill" (or with the current) and you will show your wares to more potential customers.

Reactions: eugene1
J
JeannaJigs
Everywhere I've been most troll with the current. EXCEPT for the Alsea, and no one follows any of the rules there. Period. They roll against the current and they all use jet divers. It's bizarre when you're used to rolling with the current with cannonballs. The Alsea tidewater is only about 8-12 ft deep though. Going against the current just tears up your bait, no matter how firmly cured it is.