Where to fish for salmon?

G
GPAfishinG
Hello people, I'm kinda new to this site so this is my first post and I have a question. :) I don't really do much salmon fishing (only go with my Pops when he goes which he hasn't gone in 2 years) but I really want to go salmon fishing. I've fished at Bonneville Dam before near the fish hatchery and then Milo McIver Park in Estacada. I live in Gresham and I don't want to do a great deal of driving to go fishing. If anyone can give me the name of any fishing places that's within a 1 hour to 2 hours for good salmon fishing, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm a total noobie here so anything will probably help. :D

V
VagrantAngler
You have a ton of fishing opportunities near your house! Lewis and Clark Park, Oxbow, Dodge, Cedar Creek, Revenue Bridge... all of the named areas are within 20 minutes of Gresham. I'm sure there are more I just don't fish the Sandy enough to know any others:D

T
Troutier Bassier
The Sandy river is a Good spot for Fall Chinook.
Last year you could Keep 3 a day there.
But There is also Bonneville dam and Cascade Locks (Where I would go)
I always seen people hook up with salmon at Cascade locks.

G
GPAfishinG
Hrmm...I've been to Bon Dam but never Cascade Locks. What type of jigs or lures or bait is being used atm for salmon fishing in the areas up? Thanks for the help Vagrent and Troutier.

T
Troutier Bassier
Uhm, Uhm, I hooked a Salmon or steelhead there while drifting yarn for Shad.

But I seen Some other guys with there rods rigged up like Bottom a Very VERY Heavy weight maybe 18 oz. Then a few inches above that A Giant Spin n glow, Then above that a Kwik fish.

But I see people fishing other ways.

F
FishSchooler
You could keep 3 coho... not 3 chinook. I dont know about fall nooks in the Sandy, but there are tons of coho september-early november. can't keep after october 30th last year though.

People that plunk over there at the columbia use 6-10 oz weights in fast water. I used 2 ounces by tanner creek and it held fine I think.