Where to buy flies

J
junk4jones
Hey all,

With three young-uns, I'm lucky to get out of the house onto the river at all; taking time to learn to tie my own flies hardly seems possible. Maybe someday. And frankly, while the thought of fishing with my own handiwork sounds appealing, it doesn't excite me enough yet.

So--where do you recommend I buy flies?

I've gotten some good ones from Creekside in Salem and some crappy ones from my local BiMart (Newberg). Picked up a few overpriced ones at the sport shop in Mill City last summer. And about once a year I get out to Camp Sherman. But I'm fairly confident there must be some other good shops closer to home (or the Clackamas or Nestucca, where I fish more often).

I'm not averse to buying flies online if I know the quality is at least as good as the price.

Thanks for any leads!

O
OnTheFly
Give Markcanby a call. He gets great deals online I think on E-Bay. Anyhoot, I've seen his collection and it's impressive.

F
fish4life
wholesale sports on 82nd has a huge assortment of flies i believe they are 99cents ihave never bought any of them but they look good. they have steelhead flies poppers foam crickets frogs anywho probably about he best selection ive seen other than some fly fishing shops.

B
bigsteel
hills discount flies.very nice quality flies for good price,i ave picked up some patters from them to copy and they make a nice fly

V
Van
Both River City fly shop and Kaufmann's have great selection of flies. A lot of the ones in River City are tied by the guys there and Kaufmann's stocks Idylwilde flies which are great quality. Dick's has a small table of cheap flies. Wholesale Sports does have a good selection as well. There are a ton of online sources if you dont want to leave the house.

G
ghostcow
You can save a few pennys by ordering them online, I've bought from Big Y Fly company and also from the The Fly Shop and been pretty pleased with both places.

F
flyguy
Am I allowed to say that I have a pretty huge selection of flies for sale for 50 cents each? Don't want people to think I'm on here just to sell stuff...

I've been tying and selling on a off for a while when I have time away from my day job.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
OnTheFly said:
Give Markcanby a call. He gets great deals online I think on E-Bay. Anyhoot, I've seen his collection and it's impressive.

i agree with jim, markcanby told me about ebay and you can get a dozen flies for under $8 some of them are free shipping

J
junk4jones
Thanks for all the tips!

W
waco
fish4life said:
wholesale sports on 82nd has a huge assortment of flies i believe they are 99cents ihave never bought any of them but they look good. they have steelhead flies poppers foam crickets frogs anywho probably about he best selection ive seen other than some fly fishing shops.
actually wholesale sports sale the flies for $1.09 but if you buy i believe 12 or 15 are $0.99 each!!!

G
GDBrown
i have bought some from >>>>> Discountflies.com <<<<<< They are a little more expensive ($0.95 for a dozen or more) but they have been excellent quality compared to some that I have bought cheaper and way better than what I've seen in some local fly shops.

GD