Where do you shop for tackle??

R
ryan808
Just want to see where most of you shop for tackle.

I noticed there are not too many local tackle shops targeting bass heads, do most of you shop online or just use whats local? Coming from San Jose I had atleast 5 bass geared tackle shops within a 20 mile radius. Ive found Fishermans Marine and Outdoor, but lacked teh variety.

I think it is really going to deppend on what you are looking for. I know you are talking about bass gear but for me most the time when I bass fish I use worms or just your run of the mill lures and seem to do just fine when I go out for bass. There are a lot of places online to shop for tackle though. I know that Barlows tackle out of I think texas has a good amount of gear that is meant for bass www.barlowtackle.com . Check them out and see if they have what you are looking for.

I've been using Tacklewharehouse.com for a while now, but its always nice to see what your buying in person. I know its the fisherman not the bait that catches the fish, but having something different floating in the water might trigger the personal best to take the bait.

Oh I know what you mean my fishing vest gets heavier each time I go to the tackle shop.

Gear Store

Gear Store

bigdog said:
Oh I know what you mean my fishing vest gets heavier each time I go to the tackle shop.

And I thought I was the only one who had that problem:shock:

I like Tillamook Sporting Goods if I'm looking for anything but fly fishing gear. Don't have a favorite for that yet.

GD

i carry a lot of available tackel and lures... just let me know what you want and i can tell you if i carry that line... full line of brads lures and a lot can be used for crankbaits.. ect..

I always stop at the Tillamook shop, on my way to the Salmon in the Nehalem. It's a great shop. (And, let's not pass up the Ice Cream at the Cheese factory either)!:doh:

And, I highly recommend Don Green's "Fisherman's Shack", between Monmouth and Corvallis. He has a fantastic supply of spinner making components for trout, steelies and salmonoids. You'll find it at the intersection of Airlie Rd. & Hwy. 99W.

BTW, as I recall...Don is also an avid Bass fisherman and has tons of those kinds of supplies too!

Happy trails........................

ryan808 said:
I've been using Tacklewharehouse.com for a while now, but its always nice to see what your buying in person.

90% of my shopping this year was done at Tacklewharehouse.com

free shipping on orders of $50 or more and they are usually cheaper then the local stores and always cheaper(or the same price) as basspro or cabelas.

Reactions: brandon4455
I usually just go to Bi-Mart if I need tackle. If Bi-Mart doesn't have the item I will call Wholesale Sports (formerly Sportsman's Warehouse), and if they don't have the item I order it from Cabella's or Bass Pro. For live worms I like to buy the Canadian night crawlers sold at Wal-Mart (two dozen worms per container and container is sturdy unlike the styrofoam cups most worms are sold in).

Dave

For cheap plastic baits check out alluringbaits.com. I've had a lot of success with their stuff and you can't beat the price.

Tacklewarehouse.com deal as cheap as any where for my bass interests. They have all my favorites much cheaper than our best local bass shop here in Eugene/Springfield. and 50 bones is easy to drop on a little spree for me. Cool sight

Dicks sporting goods have a decent amount of reels, rods, baits, and etc targeted for bass.

Sorry to say Dicks has really nothing to offer IMHO, I guess I was spoiled being in California.

I passed that store the other week. I need to stop in and see what they got, the fly rods benn getting dusty.

ryan808 said:
Just want to see where most of you shop for tackle.

I noticed there are not too many local tackle shops targeting bass heads, do most of you shop online or just use whats local? Coming from San Jose I had atleast 5 bass geared tackle shops within a 20 mile radius. Ive found Fishermans Marine and Outdoor, but lacked teh variety.

I lived in Sunnyvale for about a year but I can't remember a lot of places to fish for bass. How much variety does one need to fish for bass anyway? I thought they bite on most anything.:think:

OnTheFly said:
I lived in Sunnyvale for about a year but I can't remember a lot of places to fish for bass. How much variety does one need to fish for bass anyway? I thought they bite on most anything.:think:

I lived in Monterey/Prunedale area several lustrums.

There are bass in Anderson, Coyote lake, Hollister ponds, Pinto Lake, Arroyo Seca ponds, San Luis Res/Forebay, stripers in the canals, San Antonio/Naciemiento Lakes, Hunter Liggett ponds, a lot of farm ponds, etc.

What bass strike at can depend on many factors. Water temp/depth/clarity/colors of surrounding land formations/cover/wood/rock formation, etc.

Lots of FUN...

:D

Last edited:
Hawk said:
I lived in Monterey/Prunedale area several lustrums.

There are bass in Anderson, Coyote lake, Hollister ponds, Pinto Lake, Arroyo Seca ponds, San Luis Res/Forebay, stripers in the canals, San Antonio/Naciemiento Lakes, Hunter Liggett ponds, a lot of farm ponds, etc.

What bass strike at can depend on many factors. Water temp/depth/clarity/colors of surrounding land formations/cover/wood/rock formation, etc.

Lots of FUN...

:D

Wow! I had no idea! My brother-in-law fished the mouth of the John Day last year and ripped lips on bass about every cast! I have yet to try that. I generally don't target bass but action like that would be a hoot! Thanks for the heads up!:)

Last edited:
OnTheFly said:
Wow! I had no idea! My brother-in-law fished the mouth of the John Day last year and ripped lips on bass about every cast! I have yet to try that. I generally don't target bass but action like that would be a hoot! Thanks for the heads up!:)

There are lots of smallmouth Bass in the John Day.

Hawk said:
There are lots of smallmouth Bass in the John Day.

He's a lineman that worked on a project on the John Day Dam and after work they'd grab a bunch of beers and fish for smallmouth. It was the the best bite my brother's been into in years he said!

Southern Oregon: Can't beat Backlash tackle shop in GP.

Online:
alluringbaits.com ...... Great prices for well made plastics.... Senkos get spendy at 7 bucks for a pack of 10. These have been equally effective for me.

banditluers.com (usually good sales on cranks)

fishingtackleoutlet.net ---- good deals to be had, picked up 10 or so Rat-L-traps for 2.99 each.

gofishin.com ......Sell lots of cheap-o gear, but also has some good stuff at killer prices, would not recommend buying things that you are not familiar with [bought some weird brand steelhead jigs I was not happy with, but they did refund all my money and let me keep the jigs (30 bucks worth)]

Places I do not buy from (unless there is a killer sale)
Cabellas.com (I can not resist when in the store, but online there are better deals out there)
Bassproshops.com

Back
Top Bottom