When does salmon season end?

M
Mudslide
I'm coming down from Canada to the Portland area the first week in October (7-10th) and I was wondering if there will still be any salmon to catch. I was thinking about bringing my boat with me. Would it be worth the effort? Any advise would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Mud

J
JeannaJigs
I can't speak for northern fisheries but down here there will be no shortage that time of year in the coastal rivers. Plenty of folks that fish up there on here, I'm sure someone will chime in with more specific deets

N
nativefish
in the general portland area, you can either fall chinook fish on the columbia by bonniville which should be red hot with lots of big fish to be caught, or the coho on the sandy and clack which should be some good fishing as well. So if you want to fall chinook fish on the columbia you gonna need a boat that can handle the big water up there.

Reactions: Raincatcher
R
RunWithSasquatch
There will be fish everywhere that time. Be best to run to the coast from there in my opinion. That should be the right in the meat of things.... as long as we get some rain by then. Fish will be staged ready to roll as soon as the rivers give them a chance.

A
alseaalumaweld
never ends!

M
Mudslide
Thanks guys. I will definitely bring my boat. I have a Crestliner 1750. What's a good technique for fishing below Bonneville? Actually my son lives in Hillsboro. So I'll be commuting from there every day. Probably as close to the coast as it is to the dam. All suggestions are most appreciated.
Mud

M
Mudslide
I should add that I have a good set of electric downriggers and Honda trolling motor.

O
OnTheFly
I'd be in Tillamook in quest to become a member of the 40 pounder club.

H
halibuthitman
OnTheFly said:
I'd be in Tillamook in quest to become a member of the 40 pounder club.

ok, when you want to go?

M
Mudslide
Tillamook sounds like a good idea. How far offshore do you need to go?
I've had my boat off the coast of Vancouver Island but I don't go way offshore.
Mud

H
halibuthitman
Mudslide said:
Tillamook sounds like a good idea. How far offshore do you need to go?
I've had my boat off the coast of Vancouver Island but I don't go way offshore.
Mud
Tillamook is a large bay that is fed by around 6 major river or creeks all with strong salmon runs, you will want to download a chart for your plotter if you have one, my favorite hole is the ghost hole, I fish it in a 16' lund, you can put in at the town of garibaldi- Brad