What's your favorite powerbait???

F
FishOn420
I very very very rarely ever use powerbait. I am personally not really a fan of it. I pretty much use live worms for all my fishing or salmon eggs. I do have the bright green and orange power bait but have only used it at hagg lake once with no success. I haven't actually ever caught anything at hagg lake either. I used to use only power bait when I was a lot younger but I just think live bait is the way to go now.

U
UGLYSTICKER
I used to think powerbait was stupid and for kids and old people. but have changed my mind when I witnessed it out catch anything even my old trusty corky and worm.

K
Komatoast
I've never tasted powerbait, LOL, just kiddin :harhar:

T
Trav
Chartreuse power eggs, garlic scent, haven't done me wrong in the last two years. Been killing em this season on nothing but. Sheradin, Hagg, St. Louis.. they gobble it up.

V
Veiði
I used powerbait exclusively for a while. Mainly because I don't know anyone in the area to help me out & had to learn on my own via reading or by talking with other guys at lakes. Powerbait was easy & convenient, plus I ended up with a ton of different kinds/colors after a local fishing supply store had a powerbait sale, so it's what I started with & solely used for a period of time. These days, at least for the majority of the time, my preferred method is spinners. But not going to lie- I still fall back on powerbait. I mainly use it to give me a chance to sit for a ten to twenty minute break to smoke, slake my thirst, & maybe eat something, as when spinner fishing I am constantly on my feet moving around whatever lake I happen to be at.

When I do use powerbait I have had great success using a combination of the power egg that's orange with glitter on it & also the half yellow/half clear garlic scented power egg. Sometimes I switch color on the half color/half clear garlic scented power egg but generally keep the the orange power egg with glitter on it, although I've been known to switch it out for a green color too.

F
Fishpdx
We used orange powerbait during the day when the sun is out, and bright green or yellow corn as soon as it starts getting dark.

T
Trav
Veiði said:
I used powerbait exclusively for a while. Mainly because I don't know anyone in the area to help me out & had to learn on my own via reading or by talking with other guys at lakes. Powerbait was easy & convenient, plus I ended up with a ton of different kinds/colors after a local fishing supply store had a powerbait sale, so it's what I started with & solely used for a period of time. These days, at least for the majority of the time, my preferred method is spinners. But not going to lie- I still fall back on powerbait. I mainly use it to give me a chance to sit for a ten to twenty minute break to smoke, slake my thirst, & maybe eat something, as when spinner fishing I am constantly on my feet moving around whatever lake I happen to be at.

When I do use powerbait I have had great success using a combination of the power egg that's orange with glitter on it & also the half yellow/half clear garlic scented power egg. Sometimes I switch color on the half color/half clear garlic scented power egg but generally keep the the orange power egg with glitter on it, although I've been known to switch it out for a green color too.

I feel ya. The two pole allowance is great for this. Drop some power eggs on one pole, and a spinner or jig on the other. And like you said, go double power eggs and sit a spell while you munch or drink a beer. Switch back to a spinner when you get bored. Good stuff! I also picked up some of the two color eggs last night. Gonna give them a try this weekend.

R
Random Fisherman
Lately I'm hitting like crazy on Sherbet. Which is the pink and orange.

U
UGLYSTICKER
I was at the JCP yesterday with my old jar of stale turbo power bait. I caught 1 then they stopped biting. I got bored so I changed my leader from 3' to 7' to keep it way off the bottom and then slayed 4 more in no time.

C
coyo7e
FYI Bi-Mart has the garlic Lemon-Lime power eggs in stock again. Was in Florence and they had a couple dozen jars. Funny how the tall older guy who works the sporting goods section at the Royal Ave Bi-Mart in Eugene told me that Lemon-Lime doesn't exist and that Bi-Mart had never stocked it.. Three weeks after I bought their last jar last summer! :hi:

troutdude
troutdude
UGLYSTICKER said:
I was at the JCP yesterday with my old jar of stale turbo power bait. I caught 1 then they stopped biting. I got bored so I changed my leader from 3' to 7' to keep it way off the bottom and then slayed 4 more in no time.

I've been a proponent, of longer leaders, ever since I started the original power eggs thread several years ago. Actually, I've used long leaders--to great advantage--for a lot longer than that!

P.S. Lemon-Lime--or one of those with an orange one--are what I've had the best luck with. However, it ALWAYS pays to carry other colors. Switching to odd colors; has often kept me from going home empty-handed.

K
kingfish
Gulp scented (fake) worms they do wonders on anything that can smell

U
UGLYSTICKER
troutdude said:
I've been a proponent, of longer leaders, ever since I started the original power eggs thread several years ago. Actually, I've used long leaders--to great advantage--for a lot longer than that!

P.S. Lemon-Lime--or one of those with an orange one--are what I've had the best luck with. However, it ALWAYS pays to carry other colors. Switching to odd colors; has often kept me from going home empty-handed.

someone told me that leaders over 6' long were illegal. sounds ridiculous.

troutdude
troutdude
I've never personally used a leader, that was longer than maybe 4.5'.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
UGLYSTICKER said:
someone told me that leaders over 6' long were illegal. sounds ridiculous.

leader length is only restricted under Special Regulations for some locations as part of Anti-snagging Regulation (page 6 perm. regs.):

"Except when fishing with a buoyant lure (with no weights added to the line or lure), or trolling from a moving
vessel or floating device, terminal fishing gear is restricted to an artificial fly, lure, or bait with one singlepoint
hook. Hooks must measure 3/4-inch or less from point to shank, and must be attached to or below the
lure or bait. Weights may not be attached below or less than 18 inches above the lure or bait. See Special
Regulations where anti-snagging regulation is in place."

NW&SW zone, I see above restriction or a different version of it in place for Big Creek, Salmon River, Three Rivers, Trask, Chetco, CoosBay, Rogue, N. Umpqua, & Winchuck. Willamette: Eagle Creek.

cheers, roger

C
coyo7e
I cut my leaders to 6 or 7 foot but that's just so I have plenty of room to choose when I clip and tie them to something - inevitably at 2-5 foot length. I like to leave them raw on the noodle (with a tiny piece of painter tape on the tag, so I have something to grab before I decide what to tie it to, and how.)

edit: tried to take a phone pic of one of my noodles o' leaders, but this forums apparently thinks imgur needs to be 60" wide images and I am not smrt enuf to fix that so. :(

Last edited:
T
Trav
Fishing was slow Sunday morning at Harriet lake, so to change things up one of my buddies added a corky about the same size as the power eggs and extended his leader to about 4 feet. He immediately hooked a rather brutish 13 inch rainbow as soon as his line was set.

I followed suit by adding an iridescent green corky (with two orange power eggs) to my rig as well. Boom, 3 in a row. I was running about a 3 foot leader.

Getting that bait out of the weeds was the trick. It also helped in that the more clever holder-overs and natives would head right for the weeds and start circling to get you tangled and have a better chance of spitting the hook. After the corky, they seemed to start heading for the surface instead.

One other thing I observed was that they weren't swallowing the eggs, I was getting more lip hooks and was able to release 4 of them with little harm done as I could keep them in the water and get the hook out with any extra damage.

On a side note, The same guy managed to hook a nice 11 inch brown up near the inlet from Oak Grove fork(lake side of the posted marker) late in the afternoon on a rooster tail. He didn't say which color, though he had been running the gray, white and pink with brass spoon(looks like a tiny rainbow trout I guess) most of the weekend.

Most of the fish we caught up there were on the lime green or chartreuse eggs. Orange and green were hitting too, just not as much.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Do real fisherman use Powerbait just askin!

troutdude
troutdude
GaryP1958 said:
Do real fisherman use Powerbait just askin!

When it out-fishes every other technique, from the bank. Then...OH YES!

U
UGLYSTICKER
lately the trout I catch prefer garlic or yellow corn or salmon peach or sherbert. powerbait comes in many flavors that trout can't resist. now that the stocking of JCP is finished for awhile i'll be experimenting on the McKenzie with power bait flavors.