What's on your lanyard?

ToLiveIsToFlyFish
Hi all,

I'm new to this board, and new to fly fishing as well.

A friend has let me tag along a couple of times and use some of his gear. I think I've been hooked, so I'm starting to accumulate some of my own gear.

I was wondering, what's on your lanyard? Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated.

My plan is to focus mostly on trout catch & release for now, although I might take one now and then if the circumstances are right.

Thanks!

halibuthitman
mostly a bunch of old crap I barely use anymore.... I find my sciccors to be the most useful items, and sometimes floatant, well anyway, welcome to the big show.:cool:

gonefirefighting
I use a drying patch in my pocket and snips are clipped on a zipper on what ever I am wearing at the time.

never got into the fad of 50 dollars worth of nonsense that I had to pack around and never use.

I think the only thing I use on a lanyard is my net, and it is pretty small in itself.

I use a fly wallet in my back pocket and have a leatherman type tool on my belt or in my pocket.

watched my brother spend more than 120 bucks on a vest and 80 bucks on tools/gadgets that he never uses.

OnTheFly
Fly shops are your best bet to find quality stuff. Check out Kauffmans in Tigard. Kaufmann Streamborn - Everything for the Fly Fisher - Since 1969 - Store Locator Ever since a mouse chewed up my vest and used it for nesting I never bought another one. If you walk streams and rivers, a small day pack or pouch will carry about anything; fly box, leader, extra spool, etc. I just prefer to traval light. There is one tool that, I think, is worth having. It's a 'Dr. Slick' brand hemostat. It is a stainless steel, precision made tool and the cool thing are the scissors and hook eye cleaning spike built into it. No more need for nail clippers and no, it's not a Leatherman tool! Trust me.

Last edited:
Backcastwards
Good pair of hemostats clipped to a shirt pocket. A nipper with a hook eye cleaner and a hook file. Floatant if you are using dries. Almost forgot the nail knot tool.
Gary

redhawk50
Got to love the hemostats, get a good pair it is worth it. I keep my tippet near by as well.

halibuthitman
well I have to say if catch and release is appealing to you the hemostats are almost the most important item you can have, but as a beginner you need to learn to cast that rod correctly, before you aquire too many bad habits, I don't think I can watch one more crappy caster out there... this is key... there is a lot of free info on the web on casting and dozens of books, even lessons through kaufmans. Good fishin-

halibuthitman
ok, gotta come clean, my best flyfishin buddy is sitting next to me and laughed and said I should give a full manifest of my backpack on our last trip we did on the karluk... so, here is what a 27 yrs of expirence flyfisher had for a day trip....
1. two cans of redbull
2. 2.5 packs of marb reds and 1 bic lighter
3. 1 small flybox misc flys
4. broken camera ( my wifes )
5. 2 clips 45 acp
6. 1 para ordinance 45 acp
7. hemos, clippers, and 1 matchbook of lead
8. 1/2 box of smores poptarts
9. fishing licence and a casexxx sodbuster knife
and thats it.....

Last edited:
Reactions: gonefirefighting
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
ok, gotta come clean, my best flyfishin buddy is sitting next to me and laughed and said I should give a full manifest of my backpack on our last trip we did on the karluk... so, here is what a 27 yrs of expirence flyfisher had for a day trip....
1. two cans of redbull
2. 2.5 packs of marb reds and 1 bic lighter
3. 1 small flybox misc flys
4. broken camera ( my wifes )
5. 2 clips 45 acp
6. 1 para ordinance 45 acp
7. hemos, clippers, and 1 matchbook of lead
8. 1/2 box of smores poptarts
9. fishing licence and a casexxx sodbuster knife
and thats it.....

:clap:

Troutier Bassier
Redbull Gives you Wings, Better for Fly Fishing.

Lostinthemix
Halibuthitman,thats almost exactly what I carry except I'm a 1911 kind of guy so thats what I carry........and whatever poptarts I have available and I smoke camels lol.
Lost

joesnuffy
LOL< that list is great!

FishFinger
LOL my gear up is essentially the same with 3 notable exceptions....

1) A blood knot tool
2) American Spirit periques
3) Kimber 1911 .45 ACP

Anyfishisfine
That ammo is like carrying around bars of gold these days.

Troutier Bassier
the .45 is for Snaggers. ;)

Top Bottom