What's happening in the Clack?

J
junk4jones
A buddy and I were going to try out the Santiam this Friday, but a change of plans takes us toward the Clack instead. I fished McIver for trout a couple times this summer, but want to know more.

Where else can we bank fish/wade?

I'll be casting flies for trout like I've done for years, maybe trying for steelhead or salmon (this is my first season chasing them, and no luck yet).

He'll be chucking hardware at trout.

Any tips on where to fish, how to fish, or what to tie on would be welcome.

W
wozniasm
I've had good luck at Barton Park for trout. I usually use beaded nymphs.

S
Stile00
There are a few coho near Carver, but they all have lockjaw. We caught some trout on small roosters and worms with a jig there instead. I'm sure a fly will do well.

C
civicfun
junk4jones said:
A buddy and I were going to try out the Santiam this Friday, but a change of plans takes us toward the Clack instead. I fished McIver for trout a couple times this summer, but want to know more.

Where else can we bank fish/wade?

I'll be casting flies for trout like I've done for years, maybe trying for steelhead or salmon (this is my first season chasing them, and no luck yet).

He'll be chucking hardware at trout.

Any tips on where to fish, how to fish, or what to tie on would be welcome.

i would fish eagle creek dont think there is many fish in the clack but try down low if you can. was eagle creek on wensday and there are a few coho in there and after the rain there will be more. good luck

J
junk4jones
Well, we got skee-unked. Nary a nibble in 5 hours between the dam hole and the boat ramp at McIver. I could see some decent steelhead hugging the bottom, scorning my flies, worms, spinners, everything I could send 'em. Presentation didn't seem to matter.

Had some good sun, though. Unexpected. And it's never bad to be out on the water.