Finally back on the water!

bass

Most Featured
I had not been feeling great the last 6 weeks - kidney failure had been getting the better of me. I had several false starts over the last 6 weeks where I would load up the night before but then feel miserable when trying to get u, but p and go in the morning. Stinks to feel bad during the best part of the season but you have to play the hand you are dealt.

Well, I decided to try to give it a go again on Friday. I figured with taking an extra day off I would have plenty of time to recuperate if the fishing wore me out too much. I was torn on where to go since I know the Columbia is on fire this time of the year with big fish but the Willamette is a lot closer and less taxing to fish.

After going back and forth I decided to ease back into things and make a trip to the Willamette our of 10th street. It ended up being an OK but not great day. I caught 29 bass but they were mostly dinks. My best was only 2lbs and I struggled to catch fish over a pound. Still, overall it was better than sitting at home again :)

Water temp was ~58F and the fish that I caught were mostly in 6-12' of water. None of the fish I caught showed any signs of spawning (tails were all pristine). I am not sure if they have spawned and recovered or not spawned yet. I only saw fish chasing bait one time all day. Usually you see that a fair bit on the Willamette. I never did figure out where the bigger fish were holding but I know where they weren't :)

Probably my best lure was a jerkbait but I did not fish it that much since it is a lot of work and it was killing my shoulders. I probably caught the most on (and fished the most with) a 3" white swimbait. I also caught fish on a flat-side crankbait, spy bait, Ned rig, wobblehead jig and a drop shot.

Some of the bites were really hard and some were super soft. It seemed like the bites got softer as the day wore on. Overall I can't complain too much. I was able to get out and I really enjoyed just being out on the water in my kayak.

Here are a couple of pics from the day and a pretty boring video.

Glad you hear you were feeling well enough to get out. I got out for the first time yesterday. I launched out of Cedar Oak and fished for about an hour. I got 3 on a ned rig and a hula grub. All similar in size and condition to yours.

Current was pretty strong upriver as well. The river is definitely running hard this year.

Top Bottom