What's better for someone new, Clackamas or Sandy?

P
patrickhvr
Hello,

I'm new to fishing these two rivers. Never put my line in. Which one of the two rivers has better bank access? Which one is better for this time of year? What's a good river height to fish on each? How far up is too high on each river? Is there a tried and true color that people use on these rivers as far as baits/lures go? Where are the areas to AVOID the crowds (I hate being crammed in a hole)? And lastly, as the readers will probably be more advanced than me on these bodies of water, which do you recommend for the beginner?

Thanks-

P
PNW Sam
Do you want to catch trout, steelhead, or salmon?

P
patrickhvr
Steelhead and Salmon.

brandon4455
brandon4455
witch ever one you pick just stick to that river until you learn it and figure the fish out, it will pay off

R
Rascal
Either works, but I usually fish the upper clack and Aside from a few areas there are always a good sized combat fishing crowd

FYI when i say upper i mean above barton park to N Fork

W
waco
You have a lot of questions!! But I 2nd Brandon just pick one and learn it! Either one is good, just pick the one closer to home!!

P
patrickhvr
I found a spot. Been ABSOLUTELY murdering steelhead. :)

C
ChezJfrey
So what one of these two rivers did you select? I've finally been having success on the Clackamas this year...unlike my skunking of last year.

O
OnTheFly
patrickhvr said:
I found a spot. Been ABSOLUTELY murdering steelhead. :)
I'd say that's bold talk for someone new on those two rivers only 11 days ago.

P
patrickhvr
Clackamas. My first trip down there was spinners. Did okay. Went 4 summers, 1 winter, and had a Chinook hooked, but fell in and got soaked trying to get it. Rock rolled right out from under my foot, so I stopped that day. Then I ran into some local guys who showed me the ropes. Showed me what to use, colors to use during certain times, tackle, all that good stuff. Fished right beside them. They were slaying them and so was I. It's the first great experience I've had. Went in that same spot two days in a row, ran into them again. Between the three of us over 20 fish, winters, summers, and a couple Chinook. Good times.