What went wrong today :(

N
nwkiller
The reason that ice fishing is good while ice fishing is because the water temps have maintained a certain temp. One of your main issues was defenetly the water temp and also the sun itself...someimes fish will become shy or lock jawed when they are thrown a curve ball such as "the Oregon sun" lol lets says its been sunny for months and you happen to go out on the first day its been cloudy and raining in a while...the fish could very well be effected....even the best fisherman on here get skunked! fishing is pretty difficult with out patience.......

troutdude
troutdude
colbypearson said:
Ya no problem, normally it takes more than a few days for a lake to warm just an fyi, pay close attention to the nighttime lows especially.... it can be sunny and seventy for a day but in the thirties every night and it still wont warm up for a few weeks after winter

Well said. Air temperature and water temperature are NOT one and the same. It will take lots of sunny/warms days--and less ice melt--before water temps rise to a decent fishing level. Adjusting your technique, like still fishing w/ worms, power bait/eggs, with scent should work well for now. When the water temps rise enough, then switiching to casting/trolling will produce. Keep trying, and you'll figure it out and get into some fish.

P.S. Does anyone like my new avatar? LOL

H
hvacr1
I just have a few suggestions for anyone fishing out of a boat and they are not really familiar with a body of water and would like to increase there chances of catching instead of just fishing. I personally would not leave my house without a depth finder anytime I am fishing on a lake, reservoir, pond or large river from a boat. If you

A
Ariel&Jared12
nwkiller said:
The reason that ice fishing is good while ice fishing is because the water temps have maintained a certain temp. One of your main issues was defenetly the water temp and also the sun itself...someimes fish will become shy or lock jawed when they are thrown a curve ball such as "the Oregon sun" lol lets says its been sunny for months and you happen to go out on the first day its been cloudy and raining in a while...the fish could very well be effected....even the best fisherman on here get skunked! fishing is pretty difficult with out patience.......

Yeah, it is difficult without patience. We were just excited to get out there and go fishing since it's been a while. But now that we understand the fish are effected my the cold water, we know not to go fishing and if we did, then we pretty much won't catch anything.

A
Ariel&Jared12
troutdude said:
Well said. Air temperature and water temperature are NOT one and the same. It will take lots of sunny/warms days--and less ice melt--before water temps rise to a decent fishing level. Adjusting your technique, like still fishing w/ worms, power bait/eggs, with scent should work well for now. When the water temps rise enough, then switiching to casting/trolling will produce. Keep trying, and you'll figure it out and get into some fish.

P.S. Does anyone like my new avatar? LOL

We tried still fishing in different spots for 15 minutes at a time each different spot. We still got nothing. We know it had to have been the water temperature now because we used all those baits you suggested. We had two things of worms, two things of power eggs, and powerbait just in case we caught a lot and nothing. We will keep trying once the water gets a little warmer. Thanks for the heads up!

A
Ariel&Jared12
hvacr1 said:
I just have a few suggestions for anyone fishing out of a boat and they are not really familiar with a body of water and would like to increase there chances of catching instead of just fishing. I personally would not leave my house without a depth finder anytime I am fishing on a lake, reservoir, pond or large river from a boat. If you

Thanks but we don't have the money at the moment for a depth finder. We just got the boat not too long ago and wanted to go out and use it. There were a lot of other river boats out there as well doing the same thing as us. Once we had the money, we're getting one & the same with a fish finder.

B
bigsteel
try trolling flies such as wooly buggers or small leach patterns

H
hvacr1
yeah they can get kinda pricey. But for the time being downloading some topographical maps and briefly studying them before you go out or bringing them along with you and investing in a cheap digital thermometer. At least then you will know where the bottom of the lake rises and falls in the section your fishing and give you an idea of the temp at least it will give you a good guesstimate at the depth the fish might be and what to be using. Unless the fish are blowing up the surface than half the battle is solved lol. Just a thought to help you out.

A
Ariel&Jared12
bigsteel said:
try trolling flies such as wooly buggers or small leach patterns

Thank you! We will try that next time.

A
Ariel&Jared12
hvacr1 said:
yeah they can get kinda pricey. But for the time being downloading some topographical maps and briefly studying them before you go out or bringing them along with you and investing in a cheap digital thermometer. At least then you will know where the bottom of the lake rises and falls in the section your fishing and give you an idea of the temp at least it will give you a good guesstimate at the depth the fish might be and what to be using. Unless the fish are blowing up the surface than half the battle is solved lol. Just a thought to help you out.

We never even thought of that, lol. Thank you! We will look into a digital thermometer and look up maps. We have one if Applegate about what's high &low water but other than that, we don't know where to look for maps. But ill try and find some. Next time we will be more prepared.

B
Bill in the Rogue Valley
For what it is worth, I have found Applegate a tough go for trout myself, even with a fishfinder. When I fish the lake, it's usually the Squaw arm for crappies and bass.