What to do when the River is high

P
PDXKush
I was O for 0 with you Ninja...I think the current was too fast where I was at the top of the Blair witch drift.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Once you find that one spot all by yourself. You will go back to it every trip, and at least get one on for some rowdy headshakes! Everyone can show you classic, productive water, but we all have our own, true honey hole. I watch crappy guides fish this one section, and I rarely get a hit from the bank, but they get a couple takedowns at least almost every time I pass it. Learnig the holy grapes out of a few drifts is a lot better than struggling to remember, in a hundred. You'll get some man! And when you do it should be awesomely wicked! Considering how many hours you have at it. Same with FishFingers next chromer! It should be a real pissed off, riled up contender!

M
metalmania
ninja2010 said:
empty water... i go with that one. i need to find me some water that has feeshies. this is getting tiresome and slightly discouraging.

Ninja we're gonna have to go out some time and i'll show you some water with atleast a few fish in it.

N
ninja2010
i wholeheartedly appreciate your input, aa and metal.

i only fish weekends... and i fish riverside and cross/high rocks - almost every weekend. it seems silly that i keep going back, but i'm a foolish stubborn ninja. i've only managed to hook up on smolts (another today) and it's starting to get to me. i need to find a stretch that i can visit on the weekends to hook up. i don't expect to hook up every trip, but i also do not expect to skunk every trip...

i just need something to come close to my offering - spinners, drift rig, bobber/jig - and i'll do the rest.

(metal, i truly appreciate your generous offer. let's do it.)

kush - with the fishgods smiling on your side, i'm sure you'd change that score on a solo trip b4 too long. i fished from the riffles all the way back to the parking lot, poking into every opening, and even tried the spots to the right of the lot. i covered a lot of water with all kinds of colors. but it was not my day...

Last edited:
M
metalmania
ninja2010 said:
i wholeheartedly appreciate your input, aa and metal.

i only fish weekends... and i fish riverside and cross/high rocks - almost every weekend. it seems silly that i keep going back, but i'm a foolish stubborn ninja. i've only managed to hook up on smolts (another today) and it's starting to get to me. i need to find a stretch that i can visit on the weekends to hook up. i don't expect to hook up every trip, but i also do not expect to skunk every trip...

i just need something to come close to my offering - spinners, drift rig, bobber/jig - and i'll do the rest.

(metal, i truly appreciate your generous offer. let's do it.)

kush - with the fishgods smiling on your side, i'm sure you'd change that score on a solo trip b4 too long. i fished from the riffles all the way back to the parking lot, poking into every opening, and even tried the spots to the right of the lot. i covered a lot of water with all kinds of colors. but it was not my day...

Anytime you want to hit the water give me a shout and we'll go get us some fish.

P
PDXKush
metalmania said:
Anytime you want to hit the water give me a shout and we'll go get us some fish.

You guys better take me along :). Peace...I think Im headed to Drano Lake again tomorrow.:dance:

K
Kodiak
PDXKush said:
You guys better take me along :). Peace...I think Im headed to Drano Lake again tomorrow.:dance:

Back for more punishment? Lots of feeesh in zere. I gotta go to work tomarrow or I'd come throw more lead at ya. I'll have to drag my barnackle barge up there once I'm done with the overhaul.

M
metalmania
PDXKush said:

Of course man keep in touch and we'll all go hit the river.

P
PDXKush
Kodiak said:
Back for more punishment? Lots of feeesh in zere. I gotta go to work tomarrow or I'd come throw more lead at ya. I'll have to drag my barnackle barge up there once I'm done with the overhaul.

Ya. I need a 20 pounder (getting greedy). I just love seeing so many fish caught and the chaos in the Toilet Bowl...haha...Barnackle Barge sounds reel cool. You know if you got a seat open I've got your gas $$. Good luck with the overhaul. Peace Kush

C
chodathug
ninja2010 said:
empty water... i go with that one. i need to find me some water that has feeshies. this is getting tiresome and slightly discouraging.

Yo Ninja - same here man, I've been hit'n Riverside and High Rocks at least a couple times a week since April, and the most luck I've had is hooking one for 2 seconds and also caught a big ugly suckerfish yesterday that stopped my heart for a sec thinkin it was a steelie (this was yesterday btw - and nice to meet ya Kush!!!). It took me all summer long to catch my first steelhead on the Mckenzie back when I was in highschool...hoping it comes a little quicker
this time!

P
PDXKush
Good luck bro. LEt me know next time your heading down there and I'll join ya. Peace Kush

C
chodathug
PDXKush said:
Good luck bro. LEt me know next time your heading down there and I'll join ya. Peace Kush

Cool - will do man! I hit up High Rocks a lot too during the evenings after work. I'll probably be going Wednesday. I'll let you know!

P
PDXKush
I know High Rocks. Let me know brother.

N
ninja2010
choda, kush...

wish i could join you guys, but i got work till the weekend. good luck out there, and get some...

P
PDXKush
ninja2010 said:
choda, kush...

wish i could join you guys, but i got work till the weekend. good luck out there, and get some...

Ninja I will be fishing with you this weekend 100% and we are going to get one. Saturday lets meet up @ Riverside and see where the day takes us. I plan on taking a drive on Wednesday afternoon to scout some spots in the area. Gonna check out Eagle Creek and some other places and finish up @ High Rocks. But we are definitely on for this weekend as it's going to be beautiful.

C
chodathug
PDXKush said:
Ninja I will be fishing with you this weekend 100% and we are going to get one. Saturday lets meet up @ Riverside and see where the day takes us. I plan on taking a drive on Wednesday afternoon to scout some spots in the area. Gonna check out Eagle Creek and some other places and finish up @ High Rocks. But we are definitely on for this weekend as it's going to be beautiful.

Ninja, Kush - I'll prob see ya both out there this weekend!!
Hey Kush, you end up checking out Eagle Creek today? I think I need to expand my fishing waters...If you find a good spot other than High Rocks and Riverside and want some company, let me know bro! I'll go scout around this week too before the weekend and let you know if I find any fishy water.

F
fourgotten
JeannaJigs said:
For everything else though, braid is the devil.

I have to disagree... I find that braid also excels when fishing in the surf and off of the rocks... at least, as far as casting goes... it's about equal for strength, better for feel, and slightly less good for abrasion resistance...

Also fantastic for heavy cover in stiller water..