What to do when the River is high

P
PDXKush
I will be the next one asking for help with this issue as I've been losing a bunch of blue foxes and rooster tails and some Dick Nite's haha and I need to save me some $$$.

100th POST

F
FishSchooler
osmosis said:
You only need a swivel on a spinner if you build it wrong.

How does one put a swivel on a spinner after it's finished without a splitring?

Dan-I did the exact same thing. :D

N
ninja2010
the swivel goes on before twisting the top loop.

F
FishSchooler
ninja2010 said:
the swivel goes on before twisting the top loop.

But Osmo said that a spinner only needs one if you build it wrong. If you build it wrong, you finished building it because it's wrong, or else you could go back and change it.

N
ninja2010
osmo is right... that's why his spinners don't need swivels.

i started twisting mine based on ones that have a swivel, so i never noticed the line twists, but i also never noticed if they were spinning right...

anyway, one can also have the swivel between the mainline and leader. but i don't coz i have a long leader for shock absorption (i fish braid) and it would affect my casting.

F
FishSchooler
ninja2010 said:
anyway, one can also have the swivel between the mainline and leader. but i don't coz i have a long leader for shock absorption (i fish braid) and it would affect my casting.

You fish braid? You should give mono a try, its less visible than braid. That might catch you that everlonging fish. ;)
When we go trooting togetha, you better not bring braid or else both of us will be skunked! :lol:
Do you have a lighter rod/lighter line?

M
Mike123
Braid has wayyyy to much drag in the water for casting hardware. :cool:

J
JeannaJigs
Braid is AWESOME....if you're using a float. Float fishing with mono, after using braid is the worst, you will hate it with a passion..

For everything else though, braid is the devil.

I have a spool of mono, and a spool of braid, and I never leave home without both of them.

M
metalmania
JeannaJigs said:
Braid is AWESOME....if you're using a float. Float fishing with mono, after using braid is the worst, you will hate it with a passion..

For everything else though, braid is the devil.

I have a spool of mono, and a spool of braid, and I never leave home without both of them.

I to keep a spool of both. I used to bring either 2 poles or 2 reels but I switched to a reel with interchangable spools. And ya reserve braid for floating and run mono for the drifting.

N
ninja2010
yeah, i fish braid... exclusively. i became a convert many years ago throwing cranks, spinners, spoons, jigs, plastics, etc. and i troll with braid and mono topshot. i've never missed fish and it's become my go to line.

so do you guys think it's not good for pac nw style coldwater fishing? is that why i'm the skunk king?

fs, i have several rigs... my lightest gear is my quantum set, which works great for mackerel and bay bass. i think it'll suffice for trootin.

Last edited:
O
osmosis
braid and mono both have their places/tactics/conditions.

To test the theory that steelhead are line shy, I have tied 80lb white braid directly to both spinners and plugs and caught fish doing both.

You're fine with braid Ninja.
I'm glad you use a shock leader as that helps in two main ways. one- you need some stretch so unless you're using a very long very limber rod (without several yards of mono) you'll loose a lot of fish. secondly that mono bumper helps keep the braid out of the river when you snag up. Braid doesn't degrade well and can ruin a hole very fast.

N
ninja2010
thanks osmo... yeah that's why i have leaders of various sizes and color. they serve as shock leaders (learned that when i started with cranks) and i've never lost an inch of braid in the water, ever. i have left lots of hooks and mono though...

M
metalmania
Well the clack is dropping quick and clearing up as well. Wen't 1 for 2 yesterday so the fish are definitely in there good now. It should only get better from here:D.

A
ArcticAmoeba
The Clack fished extremely well yesterday evening when I got back into town. I too, went 1 fer 2 in about 6 casts with bait, before callng it quits due to lack of light.

N
ninja2010
where are you guys fishing? i just get 0 for 0 for like 1000 casts...

can someone pleeeez show me what i'm doing wrong?

A
ArcticAmoeba
I was fishin the Park Place drifts. 15 feet off of every little point visible, I have hooked fish in high water(16+). And yesterday, at one of those little points, I casted upstream, about 20 feet out, and hooked the first one, first drift through. All I can see you doing wrong is casting at empty water. Or you are just not getting your presentation down to their level. Thats all.

D
davep
fishing more effectively

fishing more effectively

AA is right....you need to de-commit from water that doesn't hold fish...every stretch of every river you fish should have indicator spots that you know hold fish...once you have covered your indicator spots with no fish move on to the next stretch and repeat....I personally dont like to beat a dead dog when Im fishing ...If I havent hooked a fish or seem some flash within an hour and a half...I find something more productive to do (like work)...that way, I dont get discouraged and my catch per hour rate stays good...

I also agree that you must be sure you are getting your bait in front of the fish...the natural speed of the current is the speed you shoot for when drifting....spinners take disipline ...section off the river...cover each section, take three or four steps down....tight lines

F
FishSchooler
You could also try extending your drift by letting out line or walking downstream at the same speed of the current.

A
ArcticAmoeba
You certainly can. But letting out line while your gear is still in the "zone" is practically impossible, as the "zone" tends to be out from the bank a little bit more than where your stuff ends up at the end of a drift. And walking downstream to extend a drift is dufficult to maintain proper contact, and stumblin to keep up in some spots can be hazardous. The Sandy is much more suited to walk drifting than the Clack though. So it does work for short sections of "beachy" bank there.

N
ninja2010
empty water... i go with that one. i need to find me some water that has feeshies. this is getting tiresome and slightly discouraging.

Last edited: