What to do in April when the winter steelhead leave?

U
upstate88
I am new to the PNW and really getting back into fishing. Last summer I fished 2-3 nights a week dry flys for trout local, and now I do one 7-9 hour day of steelhead a week. I am located in Welches out by the mountain and have been fishing the Sandy river from Gresham and back towards the Mt.

Looks like I have the rest of Feb, March, and maybe a little of April in the Sandy then I will have to move to a new area or pick another fish.

My three choices seem to be...

Spring Coho?
Trout?
Deschutes steelhead in July?

D
DrTheopolis
Steelhead are available in the Sandy (and Clack) year-round. You'll be fine.

T
TimberTodd
From Welches drop over the mountain to the Deschutes, Crooked or Metolius. Also keep an eye on the lakes around you. Davis lake (fly fishing only) by Bend might be heating up for largemouth about that time.

S
skunk
Welcome to the PNW. Its a great place, where you'll quickly learn there is no down season, or lack of fish to chase year round.

troutdude
troutdude
Deshutes summer steel? Like the Nike ad's say...just do it. You'll be glad that, you did!

C
ChezJfrey
DrTheopolis said:
Steelhead are available in the Sandy (and Clack) year-round. You'll be fine.

Yep. Winters and summers overlap and they are around all year in both of those rivers. I proved it a couple years ago, where I caught at least one steelhead in each month of the year on the Clack.

W
Willerman
TimberTodd said:
From Welches drop over the mountain to the Deschutes, Crooked or Metolius. Also keep an eye on the lakes around you. Davis lake (fly fishing only) by Bend might be heating up for largemouth about that time.

I have recently seen a video of Davis lake bass on the fly. Clearing room in my calendar this summer now...

E
eugene1
I would target spring salmon in the Willy or Columbia!

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
eugene1 said:
I would target spring salmon in the Willy or Columbia!

X 2 man!!!!!!!! So ready for springers!!!!

Artwo
Artwo
Mid April through June and into July are excellent times for spring chinook on the Sandy. The mouth of the Salmon and down towards Marmot are very productive during the ladder months. And by catching the hatchery stray fish up that high you'll be helping reduce the ESA stray rate numbers on the River and usually ODFW will up the limit to encourage fisherman to target those fish..........

U
upstate88
ChezJfrey said:
Yep. Winters and summers overlap and they are around all year in both of those rivers. I proved it a couple years ago, where I caught at least one steelhead in each month of the year on the Clack.

Thats awesome I am still chasing my FIRST steelhead. I am not getting frustrated just anxious. I have been 6 times (all eight hour days with less than 15 minutes for lunch), and hooked up 3 times but no luck getting one to get close to the bank yet.