What"s the most productive way to fish for larger trout?

U
usmc-recon
Hi I'm not new to fishing but I took a break while in usmc and after life just got in way now I'm back been up to the lake/river and I'm catching them I caught 5 between 11-15" and a 19 3/4 " steelie I just want to make sure I'm utilizing the productive way which has been worm and power egg they don't seem to respond to much else. Allso I allways try not to fish were freshly planted fish are save them for the kids thanks!

U
usmc-recon
WOW! just hopping with helpful advice. over 70 views not a single tip guess ill just keep on whats been worken

T
TTFishon
Have you tried throwing any hardware yet. My favorite is a copper Thomas which might get you into a bigger steely too.

U
usmc-recon
TTFishon said:
Have you tried throwing any hardware yet. My favorite is a copper Thomas which might get you into a bigger steely too.
no i will have to try some ive tried roosters various colors and spiners and kastmasters and ive never got a hit through a worm and i get numorus 14 inchers consistantly what size thomas is good for trout and do they work on steelies so far ive caught 4 steelies not on sand shrimp or eggs but just plain ol worm lol one i even caught off a crawdad well fake one but whatever its humorus those that fish off the beach all they seem to catch are tinny lil planters i guess old saying holds true if its harder to get to its better fishing lol

T
TTFishon
Sounds like what you're using is working pretty good so far. I like to use 1/16th or 1/8th oz size Thomas and yes they will catch steelies.

R
rhubarb
Bumping this thread a bit ;)

TTFishon said:

I use a red/gold Thomas Buoyant 1/4 oz and catch trout all the time with it.... NEVER landed one under 11" with this lure (and yes indeed, steelies hit it)

Last edited:
C
ChezJfrey
Something I read quite some time back is that a 4-5" Rapala is a good, go-to lure for large trout. Something to try...just have to make sure you can get it down to where the big ones might be hanging out.

M
MattZ
Catching big fish is less about "what?" and more about "where?". It may sound cliche, but its true. It's really hard to catch a big fish where there are none, so make sure you are on water with big fish in it. If fishing for trout, focus on lakes with a long feeding season, freshwater shrimp, or just a good reputation for producing big fish. the fact is some places have a larger food source for trout, and just the right chemistry, so fish grow big. most of the major rivers along the I-5 corridor are relatively low in food, which is why the fish evolved to feed in the sea then come back. the most healthy estuary systems will generally produce the larger steelhead and salmon. And make sure you are fishing in the part of that water where they hang out. they eat the same things they always did, just more of it. and bigger fish can fit bigger minnows in their mouths, so fish bigger, but your catch rate will drop. Like troutski said, go deep, sometimes that pays.

Pretty much every trout over 5lbs ive caught, i already knew where he was. big fish like that tend to stick out when on the feed. Especially in a river, but even in a lake.

hope that helps.

matt

M
MattZ
oh, and as i thought on it, its soon fall, so trout in lakes will move to the shallows as night temps cool the water, following prey, to bulk up before winter. This means not all big fish will be caught deep. starting around the middle of september, id be looking for fish closer to the banks in 20ft or less water and around structure. they will be hunting.

have fun fishing