What pound test for coho?

A
Axlave
Hey everyone,

First time going for coho, and was wondering what the normal pound mainline and leaders are.

I first assumed it would be heavier line since they are still salmon

But ive been doing some research and have been reading 8-10lb main and 6-8lb leaders.

Are these fish line shy? Or should heavier line be just fine?

Last edited by a moderator:
W
waco
I use #12 mainline and #10 or #8 for leader depending on clarity of the water!!!

O
OnTheFly
waco said:
I use #12 mainline and #10 or #8 for leader depending on clarity of the water!!!
My thoughts exactly but do you think 8lb. could be a tad light or have you not had a problem with it?

N
nativefish
12lb p line leader for bobber fishing, usually cx. And usually 12lb cxx on my baitcasters. I find p line diameter seems to be a bit thinner than like berkley for example so you can get away with using a higher test line when you are trying to keep it small. Florocarbon is the same way, if you want to use 10, you can usually use 12 instead if you are using florocarbon, its more expensive and has less stretch however so its more prone to breaking.

M
Mad dog
OnTheFly said:
My thoughts exactly but do you think 8lb. could be a tad light or have you not had a problem with it?

I have never had a problem with 12 lb., I don't see coho as being leader shy....In fact I think they are dumb! They mill around in the frog water waiting to bite something pink...anything pink! :lol:

A
autofisher
My line of choice most of the year is 12 and 8.... Makes for a great fight and story. :)

A
alseaalumaweld
65 pounds braid and 40 pound leader.

P
plumb2fish
Got a 14lber last year on the Coos on 10/8 drift fishing a pink worm for early winter brats....fun shizzle

P
plumb2fish
Most coho I catch in tide water are taken on 50lb braid and 30-40lb mooching rigs...leader shy? probably not

J
JeannaJigs
alseaalumaweld said:

Bahaha! Yeah buddy, that's the ticket

Reactions: halibuthitman
J
JeannaJigs
autofisher said:
My line of choice most of the year is 12 and 8.... Makes for a great fight and story. :)

word. Epic. Even makes me almost forget the anchor funeral lolll

O
OnTheFly
alseaalumaweld said:
Dude...you are obviously bay fishing to maintain your status in the 40 pounder club for the fall run. I'm jealous....nice club to be in!

S
SonyAUX
You want to go at least 15 braid 20lb mono! This time of year there's to many hogs swimming around and if you hook up with one of those 30lbs beast your gear will be test! Trust me. Make sure, make sure your knots are tied right cause there's nothing like loosing a fish from a bad knot!

B
bernduffy
I was trolling for steelhead and a 32" 20lb coho took my spinner on 20# braid with 12# maxima leader. He fought like crazy but everything held including knots (good point, SonyAUX). After the moves that big ho put on me, I wouldn't use anything less.

N
nwkiller
all i know is, light line is a lot of fun, but when ur 40 lb nooks screemin drag with a seal in follow ull be thinkin bout that heavyer test

J
JeannaJigs
it really all comes down to application. What kinda water you're gonna be fishing. For instance fall hos in the lakes, i run 10 and 8. they fight like trout. if I'm fishing upriver with rocks and ledges and bruiser nooks cruising around, i learned last year 10 and 8 is NOT sufficient. You will cry. Many times. Then you will cry some more, and upgrade your line. Then tidewater is a whole 'nother beast. Heavy fish, heavy gear, heavy line.

A
alseaalumaweld
there not line shy no point in 8 pound test

S
SonyAUX
Heavy line helps, but.... I've seen people with heavy line on a trout pole hook up with a nook and I watched their pole snap in half! Im not joking lol... Right pole, right line, right reel with good drag, catch fish. IMO