What mono line do you use?

H
hunt-fish-trap
as the season approaches I am getting my stuff ready and am wondering what pound line to run on my reels. now these are my sturgeon only reels and I want to keep the price down so braid is out of the question. so what line do you run if you are running mono? thanks kids

bass
bass
When I use mono I often use Silver Thread lines (AN40 or Super Silver thread). It is pretty inexpensive and fishes extremely well. I have used it in 4,6,8,12,20 lb test and I have been happy with all.

For sturgeon I do use braid, but I know you said this was out of the question. However, I fill my spool most of the way with mono and then add about 100 to 150yds of braid on top. Keeps the cost down and you get the advantages of braid. I join the mono and the braid with a Uni knot.

Good luck.

F
fish4life
Went fishing on the willy on friday of the bank landed a six footer on 30# mono. It was the cheap line from bi-mart. 30# maxima or cxx pline should be all you need.

Last edited:
F
fish4life
Another option you might have would be dacron line it is pretty inexpensive also.

M
muskieguide
for keepers on up to 10 footers 30# berkley big game is the cheapest bet. It's what I'll be runnin with next weekend.

S
Sturgeon
I'm bank only, So I use berkley big game when I'm on a budget, or p-line cxx when I want to splurge.
25lb on a Daiwa x-30 SHA for most of my keeper fishing, or when I'm in a situation where I need to cast a long distance, like when fishing below Bonneville, ect.
30lb on a Daiwa x-50 HV for fishing keepers when using heavier weight, or where I don't necessarily need to cast a mile. I use this one on the Willamette for winter sturgeon as well.
40lb on a Daiwa sg50h for fishing off the West Linn dock when the river is really high or when targeting oversize. .

H
halibuthitman
Ande is the way to go for heavy and cheap-