What is your favorite go-to fly?

O
OnTheFly
Perhaps this subject has been talked about before but maybe now there are different opinions. Let's start off with still water and lets say you arrive at a lake you've never fished before and there's no hatch or no rising going on. What fly do you use? Obviously it will be some kind of subsurface searching fly that you've had success with in the past. Crystal Buggers? Carey Specials? The same goes for rivers and streams. Copper John? Prince? What's the Go-To fly for you?:think:

brandon4455
brandon4455
river :size 12 possie bugger and size 16 phesant tail on a dropper rig

Lake: kaufmann mini leech size 12-14 under a strike indicator. or an ice dub soft hackle

It's hard for me to just pick one for lakes/reservoirs because sometimes the soft hackle works and sometimes the mini leech works.. but those two are my best producers for lake fishing sub surface.

Last edited:
W
wozniasm
Historically before coming to Oregon, it was a beaded nymph. It worked in lakes, creeks and rivers back east.
Out here, still experimenting but I'm leaning towards an olive bugger for lakes (Bud Special is in the running). Insufficient time to decide on a river/creek fly at this time.

troutdude
troutdude
Olive Wooly Bugger, hands down. Black Teeney Nymph, is my second choice.

S
steelhead_slayer
troutdude said:
Olive Wooly Bugger, hands down. Black Teeney Nymph, is my second choice.

yeah that

E
eggs
Bud light special

B
bigsteel
I lie small soft hackles and carey specials for lakes,for rivers peacock stimulator and a prince nymph

M
markasd
Wooly buggers - black and olive has landed more trout n steelhead than any other colors in my boxes..

O
Outdrsmn
Possie bugger for rivers....its deadly.

J
JeannaJigs
Whatever Jim or Dave have given me to use. It's always sparkly, whatever it is. Sparkle, sparkle. Someday...I plan on actually having a functional fly box that has more than giant elk hair caddis's (The only fly I know by name...I know, I know...it's sad) If you guys ever take up jig fishing, I've got ya covered lol.

T
trollin4trout
From a fly dragging viewpoint (split shot and a fly on spinning rod), this one:

superflies.jpg

The top pic is as new- the bottom two are after too many fish teeth. (still catching fish though!)

Troutski
Troutski
Golden Stone nymph, size #8.... never fails to produce....

Chuck

H
halibuthitman
anything tipped with a night crawler or grub...

Troutski
Troutski
halibuthitman said:
anything tipped with a night crawler or grub...

Just couldn't resist, just sayin';)

Chuck

O
OnTheFly
Whoe! Those flies are shreaded! What kind of fish are you targeting...pike?

T
trollin4trout
OnTheFly said:
Whoe! Those flies are shreaded! What kind of fish are you targeting...pike?

:lol: no- just stocker trout in a WA lake- but a LOT of them were just hammering those flies that day.

Jim

G
GDBrown
Olive Damselfly nymph for lakes and anything dry for creeks and streams.....

C
ColoradoTroutMan
Seeing as I have only gone fly fishing once and was very successful a size 8 olive or black crystal bugger.