What is the #1 steel-head fishing spot in early April?

H
hillard6
Looking to go fly fish some steel head April 2-6th. I know its not the most ideal time to go, but its my only window i got for awhile. spots, tips? all appreciated, thanks

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
are you looking to come over to a coastal river?

J
JonT
HAHAHAHAHA good question, hilliard6... let us know when you find out.

H
hillard6
anywhere in Oregon really?

C
ChezJfrey
Some April possibilities:

Rogue
Clackamas
Sandy
Wilson
Nestucca
Siletz

Possibly even Santiam for early summers?

N
Native Fisher
I would say, North Umpqua, upper rouge, and siletz would all be decent possibilities.

D
DirectDrive
ChezJfrey said:
Some April possibilities:

Rogue
Clackamas
Sandy
Wilson
Nestucca
Siletz

Possibly even Santiam for early summers?
Pretty good selection right there.
If pressed, I'd go Wilson if the river level was right.

D
DrTheopolis
April is probably the worst month of the year on the Wilson.

J
JonT
DrTheopolis said:

Probably the worst in general.

N
Native Fisher
DrTheopolis said:

April is probably the worst month of the year on all coastal rivers that do not see summer steelhead. Sure some late broodstock are still around(winters), but far past prime. The upper north umpqua is a fly only zone and should have gobs of winters and potentially some summers or springers in lower sections.

D
DrTheopolis
Native Fisher said:
April is probably the worst month of the year on all coastal rivers that do not see summer steelhead.

And even the rivers that have summers aren't exactly chocked-full in April. I think the Tuc gets them a bit earlier.

But April is a pretty awesome month for springers. The Willy and C are booming in April. But, they're much tougher fisheries if one doesn't have access to a boat. And if one wants to hit the Columbia, check the regs closely... better yet, have your lawyer do it, since they change them what seems like every 3 hours.

If I was in the northwest corner of the state, and had a steelhead-or-bust attitude, I think I'd stick with the Clack or Sandy. They'll at least have some summers by April, and a handful of springers to boot, although like the coast, April isn't exactly prime.

I believe that some of the southern streams get better early returns, but I don't know much about them.

Now May, on the other hand... pick a river and fish it.

C
ChezJfrey
DrTheopolis said:

All from the Wilson...all during April:
2012-04-29_13-13-18_760.jpg
2012-04-27_20-27-54_54.jpg
2012-04-06_12-22-18_924.jpg
Big Boy's first steelhead
IMG_0058_zps992b2450.jpg
2014-04-06_11-25-33_855.jpg
2014-04-06_12-06-55_785.jpg

Just sayin'...

J
Jordy
April is coin toss. Obviously anything can happen between now and then but water might be a big issue this year. If the conditions are good the Wilson can be amazing in april. The sandy and the clack will have fresh summers and springers and the best part is that you can find a lot of water all to yourself because the armada will be out on the big rivers.

Good luck! Let us know how you do.

S
Steelheader4Life
And that's why April is my favorite time of year to fish for steelhead. Everyone seems to think the run is over. The first week of April can be especially good!

D
DrTheopolis
ChezJfrey said:
Just sayin'...

Never said they couldn't be caught. I've caught a ton of steelies on the Wils in April -- the vast majority of which were downrunner bucks.

O
OnTheDrop
No winters left on the coast. Do yourself a favor and stay in the Valley, please.

:thumb:

S
sparky
I've had to put a couple of fresh ones back into the Wallowa (NE Oregon), can only keep the farm fish.
Rumor is the run is strong, but there's still guys hoppin' spot to spot chasing them.