What cameras do you guys use?

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
I wasn't sure which forum this would be best for, so mods, please feel free to move, but I have a dilema. I use my mobile phone for all of my "every day" pics, but don't want to risk getting it soaked out on the river. Unfortunately, I can't stand the quality or inconvenience of disposable waterproof film cameras. I love to wade and usually fish alone (it's by choice, I tell you!), but I would love to be able to capture the monsters I'm sure to land this year for the record.

What do you guys use and/or recommend that won't break the bank?

J
JeannaJigs
I use one for my phone. Touch screen is still operational and it doesn't interfere with photo quality either. I use the little one and it fits an iPhone 3GS

E
eat, sleep, fish
F
fishingfreak
I use a Fujifilm XP10. It is water, dust, shock, and freeze proof. You can use it for under watershots in the ice cold. Mine a year ago was $149 on sale at Kmart. It has been a really good camera I have dropped it in the drink, on rocks, banged it around wading, lots of bait and fish slime, and taken over a 1000 pics and videos with 0 issues. I think they are $99 at Target and Costco now. Good Luck!

FF

Chromatose
Chromatose
Depending on how much you want to spend. These are Bulletproof..........I have a Early model that is no longer available. Which tells the story in itself, 8 years and counting....Here is what the earlier model looked like...........http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod3844.htm

Do not do what I did and go through 2 cameras and 3 cell phones......Dam I shouldn't admit that.......

B
BigD
Pentax OptioW10, the Optio's are awesome cameras.

I did purchase a FujiXP10 but didn't like the pictures it took so sold it on Craigslist for almost the same amount as I paid for it.

F
fishtales
HP Photosmart 945. It is a bit bulky and is tough to lug around some times, but if I know I'm going to take pictures I will bring it along.

J
john montana
Pentax optio wg...can't go wrong with the optio.

S
Sinkline
Mine is about a 15-year old Fuji FinePix, 2-megapixel. Out of production for many years now. I could probably benefit from a new camera myself.

Randy

L
lilsalmon
Olympus waterproof......from Walmart 109 bucks...works good enough for me unless I am taking far away pics or humans...the camera hates human subjects....:lol:

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Sinkline said:
Mine is about a 15-year old Fuji FinePix, 2-megapixel. Out of production for many years now. I could probably benefit from a new camera myself.

Randy

You're worse off than I am, Randy! Sounds like a new camera is in order for the new year!

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
lilsalmon said:
Olympus waterproof......from Walmart 109 bucks...works good enough for me unless I am taking far away pics or humans...the camera hates human subjects....:lol:

That's about the budget I'm looking for. As long as I can find one that loves a fish subject or two, I'll be in good shape. ;-) Thanks!

S
Sinkline
pinkygonzales said:
You're worse off than I am, Randy! Sounds like a new camera is in order for the new year!

In all seriousness, no matter which camera you choose, make sure you have a decent photo editing program on your puter. Doesn't matter how great a camera you buy you will have photos that are not exposed properly, weird color, not in focus, etc. With good software you can fix most all photo issues at least enough to show them online.

Randy

F
FlyBum
Sinkline said:
In all seriousness, no matter which camera you choose, make sure you have a decent photo editing program on your puter. Doesn't matter how great a camera you buy you will have photos that are not exposed properly, weird color, not in focus, etc. With good software you can fix most all photo issues at least enough to show them online.

Randy

And make your fish look bigger, put your friend's face on them, ect..... LOL :) :)

G
GDBrown
FlyBum said:
And make your fish look bigger, put your friend's face on them, ect..... LOL :) :)

You be careful now, I resemble that remark!!!!

I upgraded to a Canon 60D Digital SLR this time. Not that I'm going to be using While I'm fishing but I can't fish as long as I would like so I'm doing my second love on the same trips. I use to love taking scenic and landscapes when I was younger and would hike for hours to get one good shot.

That said I had the FinePix XP20 for a while and liked it well enough for fishing trips. I learned that the best way to handle the camera was to keep it on a lanyard inside my waders so it was easier to access when I was on the water. I just never did catch that big fish so I could take the picture.

GD

V
veilside180sx
Canon T2i, Canon XSi, Go Pro 960, Iphone 4...they all take pics and video. (except XSi for video)

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Nice! Now we're talkin'. My goal is not to become a wildlife photographer, just to have something on hand that can capture the moment and survive a dunk in the bucket.

Thanks for the suggestion!