West Salish pond

M
MyKiss
I went there yesterday and people were catching fish but not me. This pond is small is size but very deep, I think 80' in the deepest spot, someody told me it's an old gravel pit and they recently turned it into a trout fishery. The thing is I didn't have a bobber and I guess that's what you need to catch trout there. This might be a dumb question, but how can I fish powerbait under a bobber if the powerbait will just float? I might try worms under a bobber next time I fish there. Also, how many feet under a bobber should my leader be?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
MyKiss said:
I went there yesterday and people were catching fish but not me. This pond is small is size but very deep, I think 80' in the deepest spot, someody told me it's an old gravel pit and they recently turned it into a trout fishery. The thing is I didn't have a bobber and I guess that's what you need to catch trout there. This might be a dumb question, but how can I fish powerbait under a bobber if the powerbait will just float? I might try worms under a bobber next time I fish there. Also, how many feet under a bobber should my leader be?

First off, welcome to the OFF site! Hope to hear from you often.
When I fish for trout using a bobber and powerbait, I put a small weight just above the hook. This lets the bait float, but not on top of the water. I use 24"-40" lead depending on how warm the water is and how far down the fish are. Don't get stuck with one set-up. Try a bunch, and don't forget to ask questions of the people out around you. They will usually give you a straight-up answer.
Keep us posted on how you do. Lots of helpful folks with lots of experience.
Barb

Troutski
Troutski
Slip bobber

Slip bobber

I use a slip bobber set up, it allows you to adjust your depth according to the water your fishing in. If you want a ten foot drop then set your stopper at ten feet...and so on. It is great with jig fishing along with worm or powerbait. You can find them (bobber stoppers) at most fishing sections in bi-mart and the such. Tight lines and be safe around the water.

Chuck

M
MyKiss
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for your help guys. Does anybody have any personal experience fishing West Salish Pond? I heard they stock the pond with big brood trout as well.

F
FishKiller23
MyKiss said:
Thanks for your help guys. Does anybody have any personal experience fishing West Salish Pond? I heard they stock the pond with big brood trout as well.

Yea Ive gone there a bunch of times. the basic set up for the trout there is using the bobber with a good long leader.

Just put a split shot weight a few inches above the hook. They also have catfish,carp,bass and crappie. There is a lot more fish there thats just the ones off the top of my head.

The other side has some good sized bass and black crappie.

D
dud3r
I go there 3-4 times a week. Depending on how warm it is, I will go about 18-24 inches deep. Some people have luck fishing off the bottom there, I never have. Neither has anyone that has went with me.

Yeah they have some big ones in there. Friend of mine caught a 24 incher. I wasn't with him when he did it, but they talk about it almost every time we go. I think the biggest I've seen this season come out of there was about 18 inches and he was obese! I'll be up there again after work looking for some fish. Got a new pole!

I would advise against staying too late. That place puts a whole new meaning to the freaks come out at night. Being right in the middle of the city, just imagine.. I've already had one experience.

B
bassman503
MyKiss said:

went their sometime in july, didn't see anybody catch trout but i caught an 11 inch bass sight fishing. i also saw a five pounder cruising along with the 11 incher.

F
FishSchooler
You might give nightcrawlers a try, mr trouts sure do love big juicy worm! If you dont want to put a split shot above the hook, try fishing with a slightly weighted hook, or a slightly larger hook, which gives enough weight to make the bait sink.

J
JGardner11
Float tube in Salish Pond?

Float tube in Salish Pond?

Is a float tube legal to use or do they consider that a boat? Can you fish in the dark or is it a dusk to dawn type restriction? New to the area. Any general advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

F
FishSchooler
No kind of boat or raft, it was tempting when I was there, but I resisted...

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
To float or not to float

To float or not to float

JGardner11 said:
Is a float tube legal to use or do they consider that a boat? Can you fish in the dark or is it a dusk to dawn type restriction? New to the area. Any general advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

JGardner11, you are officially welcomed to the best,friendliest and most informative fishing forum this side of Brooklyn! I have absolutely no idea about the regulations at Salish pond. But...I do know where you can get the official ODFW regs book. Walmart,Fred Meyers,Sportsmens Warehouse,Joes,etc. I am really not trying to be a smart arse, if we can give an answer,we will. But it always helps to go to the real deal. Maybe some of our members who live a bit closer (Dallas is west of Salem) can give you some advise according to their experience. You may even find the info on their website. Let us know when you find out and good luck.
Barb

Last edited:
F
FishSchooler
I remember a sign by the pond saying: no boats or rafts. I dunno.

D
dud3r
Don't know if they're legal or not but I've seen Pontoons in the Pond. I wouldn't risk it if you're not sure. I've seen the Wildlife guys there more than anywhere else in my short fishing career.

J
JGardner11
Salish Pond Information

Salish Pond Information

So I tried to do a little research on the regulations for these two ponds. ODFW does not deal with these ponds whatsoever and the synopsis is rather vague. After a few phone calls I was redirected to the City of Fairview. They are the ones who tend to the ponds. The question about whether the pontoon/float tube is a boat or a raft/floatation device is in council. They are going to call with a definate answer for me tomorrow. Until then, hit the banks for some combat fishing.

M
mackrice
No tube allowed. not sure about the time.

M
mackrice
I was there a little after they stocked it and they were hitting on little green worms with a 24" leader and 1/2 oz weight. I also had luck with a small green dick nite. Good luck. Salish is a hard spot to figure out. That was my first time actually getting some bites. Oh yeah and I was on the northwest side of the pond near the fence

C
c_chickens
no swimming or boating! at all times! next time u go check out the BIG signs sayn that! odfw i think does stock warm water crappie large an small mouth!

B
bassman503
The BEST way to catch trout at Salish, is to have a leader about 3 ft, a sliding sinker about 1/4 ounce of a weight, cast out and retrieve SUPER slow. I see people reeling it in too fast and then they're are asking why I am catching fish and why they are not. And use rainbow powerbait instead of the little trout worms. Works much better.

T
Troutier Bassier
lol, Best way in your opinion. My buddys have been slaying them all week at Salish. Brooders too.

C
c_chickens
my buddys friend pulled a 5lb large mouth out of there!