Waterfowl

F
fishtales
New hunter here. I was hoping to do some duck hunting while visiting my mom in eastern Oregon around the Bend Lapine area. Does anyone have any tips on where to go? Can I hunt on Wickiup Reservoir or from the shore line? In not looking for anyone’s hunting ground, just a place to try out while I am in town. Thankx

Y
Yogidabear
summer lake about 2 hrs away is your best bet

F
fishtales
I will check it out. Thanks, Im coming from Portland.

F
fishtales
Got my first duck ever today. Pretty stoked about it. I plucked the feathers and all. Good god they stink!

F
fishtales
I am going out again this weekend after work. I read somewhere on line that the southern ponds at St. Louis can be duck hunted. Are they for real? Every time I have been there it been full of fisherman and families fishing. I thought I would bring that up and see if anyone had any input.

Also, is the Willamette Greenway book as good as they say for finding areas to duck hunt?

J
joesnuffy
fishtales said:
eastern Oregon around the Bend Lapine area.

LMAO! Just because it's east of you, doesn't make it Eastern Oregon.

Congrats on the duck(s).

F
fishtales
Thanks for the congrats.

My neighbor was saying the same thing about central/eastern... FTW I don't know, but yeah, I get it is Central Oregon.

R
rogue
Have you tried the map on the odfw website? It shows areas that you can hunt.

F
fishtales
I might have seen the map. I will look again. You say it is a good refrence for areas to hunt?

R
rogue
It has different areas highlighted in pink that allows hunting. When you click on an area it will give you the details on that property. When you can hunt it, what they planted, if camping or bathrooms are available. It tells you what animals you can hunt.

F
fishtales
Is it the map under waterfowl/maps and charts. I will look into it later possibly again later tonight. Thanks,

F
fishtales
Well, I finished my only successful duck hunt for lunch today. Not bad really. It was a bit stronger than suspected. I fried it up with garlic salt and a little cayenne.

R
Rusty Stern
The willamette greenway can be very good for birds. Only issue is it is 99% boat access only. And even then, you need some boat with some power in most areas. That water gets fast when it is rainy season.

And yes...ducks stink....bad...
I have yet to find a way to fully pluck a bird in good order, and am even less succesful in cooking one in manner that leaves them edible.
Every year I am determined to accomplish these two things, and this year is no different.

Now if only I can get some birds this year....

F
fishtales
I will still check it out. I might buy one but will need to decide after giveing it a look. If i knew what the cover of it looked like it might make it easier to find. Any idea?

I went hunting again today. Kind of nice when the gun works right, there is no hard rain and I get to shoot ducks. Fun times and I now have duck dinner in the freezer.

R
RIVERFISHER
crockpotting duck i heard is really good.. my friends wife hates gamy stuff and she said it was darn good from what he told me...

F
fishtales
That sounds like a good idea! Duck is pretty gamy. I heard it has to do with what they eat.