Water levels at Dorena and Cottage Grove

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
I see the graphs and the lakes are darn near empty.

Does anyone know if they will allow them to drop to “run of river” levels or is there a hard limit to how far they will allow the reservoirs to drop? Looks like they must be at or near “conservation pool” already. I know they get super low in the fall but this is looking like the makings of a fish kill to me. I sure hope that doesn’t happen.

SS

4labs
4labs
And if that isn't enough Dorena and CG are schedule to be planted with 4-5000 "trophy" fish in late sept. early oct

Reactions: Shaun Solomon
DOKF
DOKF
I doubt (hope) ODFW doesn't plant an empty reservoir. They will (should) have to relocate, or delay stocking.

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal and Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
One must assume that they wouldn’t dump a truckload of stockers onto dry land, but you never can tell when it comes to state agencies. I’ve seen trout being swept down a concrete boat ramp with push brooms before… for real.

I’m more worried about the resident fish in the reservoirs than what does or does not happen concerning the put-and-take fishery.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
A screen grab of Dorena, not sure when this pic was from.

I guess nobody knows is the answer to my question. I’ll just keep my fingers crossed.

• 2CEC33C0-8330-4972-B9FE-F4F71CFB6E6B.png
troutdude
troutdude
@Shaun Solomon be patient my friend. We are not all signed into this forum all of the time. I suspect that you will get an answer, if you are more willing to wait for it.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Copy that. Sorry if I came off brusque.

Feeling a bit panicked about it, but I guess I shouldn’t be because there is nothing I can do about it either way.

Cheers.

troutdude
troutdude
No worries. I understand your "kill OFF" concerns. That's not what anyone wants. Hopefully we'll get lots of rain; and soon.

Tight lines. TD

DOKF
DOKF
Pray for rain. Do a little rain dance. The wet coast is not what it used to be.

Reactions: troutdude
DOKF
DOKF
Ouch!

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Thanks for that. As it happens I am familiar with the hydrological data resources, my question was more one of policy

“Will they allow the reservoirs to completely drain, or will they hold a tiny bit back to prevent a fish kill.”

I sent an email to the Corps, but so far it has been radio silence.

I’m looking forward to seeing the rain this weekend. It’s obviously not going to make much of a dent, but at least it will decrease the fire risk.

cheers all.

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
Shaun Solomon said:
Thanks for that. As it happens I am familiar with the hydrological data resources, my question was more one of policy

“Will they allow the reservoirs to completely drain, or will they hold a tiny bit back to prevent a fish kill.”

I sent an email to the Corps, but so far it has been radio silence.

I’m looking forward to seeing the rain this weekend. It’s obviously not going to make much of a dent, but at least it will decrease the fire risk.

cheers all.
I'm with you on looking forward to rain. Clear skies are on their way.

I'd guess the ground will suck up all of it at this point but a couple more storms and we'll see our rivers and lakes start to fill.

P
pcstock
It has been pretty dry..... I would assume these first rains will not saturate the ground well.

DOKF
DOKF
I went to Hagg Lake and Dorena Lake this past weekend.

Hagg Lake was wayyy down, but I guess that is somewhat normal if depressing. I thought it was really sad to see the water level almost at the end of both boat ramps.

Then I saw the ramp at Dorena ...

We need rain. The fish need rain.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
I’m actually REALLY happy to see water touching the ramp at Dorena. I wasn’t expecting it. I was thinking about going out there but a) didn’t want to have my heart broken, and b) was thinking any fish I caught in such a concentrated puddle should have an asterisk by them.

Did you fish at all or just scope them out?

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE!

SS

DOKF
DOKF
I did not get to dip my lines in either Hagg or Dorena last weekend. I did see some people out on the shore and water, but did not see any evidence of fish caught.

DOKF
DOKF
The ramps at HHagg looked very useable, if long. The ramp at Dorena had some sketchy sections that were damaged by erosion. Care would be advised.

DOKF
DOKF
I know that both HHagg and Dorena are scheduled for restocking soon (this week?). The ODFW stocking schedule stated large numbers of planters legal and trophy for both reservoirs.