Warmwater fly fishing!

brandon4455
brandon4455
went to a pond along the upper willy yesterday with dad to test out some flies i tied..wanted to trout fish but dad didn't want to because his spinenrs would probably "spook" the trout in the low water according to him, so we decided to do warmwater.. i had tied five dry flies similar to the one i tied on my bday that i had success with but it had the addition of a new body material,body hackle and i actually used the hair stacker this time.. :lol: the reult was a cool looking elk hair caddis with peacock herl body, grizzly saddle hackle and microfibett tails..no rib on the body like a regular elk hair caddis..but it slayed em. caught a good 30 bluegill that fight hard. two or three that took some line and three that snapped my 5x tippet on snags. ( a friend recomended i use 4x next time) but it was a great day. saw some big bass but they wanted none of my rabbit strip diver. so if you want to have fun a a local pond or slough with a fly rod pick up some elk hair caddis,white humpy..anything flashy or high floating gets their attention. often they strike anything that has movement to it. about twenty minutes before we left my uncle and three cousins came down so my cousin mitch ,who i previously taught how to fly fish asked if he could try dry fly bluegill and he got one on his second cast. the very small gillie (pictured below) thought it was a 1lber :lol: it was a great day with plenty of fish. and i will be going back tuesday to get the ones i missed lol

brandon

• bluegill 3.jpg
  • gillie2.jpg
  • mitch's baby bluegill.jpg
  • line zipper.jpg
  • gillie.jpg
  • dad fishing.jpg
  • 082011172950.jpg
S
Spydeyrch
Nicely done there brandon!!

I have to get out and try some warm water fly fishing sometime here soon!!

Good job again on the flies!

-Spydey

brandon4455
brandon4455
Spydeyrch said:

-Spydey

thanks bro.. if you want to ill show you soem spots sometime. forgot to call you to say ill have the money for those materials within 11 days, maybe even next thrusday :D

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
Gunga
Gunga
Spydeyrch said:

-Spydey

You have no idea what your missing!
Most of the Trips i have been out fly fishing is when i was goin after warmwater fish! They fight like hell for there size!

S
Spydeyrch
youngfishtyler said:
You have no idea what your missing!
Most of the Trips i have been out fly fishing is when i was goin after warmwater fish! They fight like hell for there size!

Yeah, I guess I am. I ahve gone bass fishing once on the fly and actaully I did it with brandon. We had a blast. But I need to get out there more and hit some more warm water.

-Spydey

L
lilsalmon
good job Brandon.....not sure I can make it Tuesday but will give it a try. Nice little fishes.