Wanting to learn!

F
flipper
Hey all you fly-fishermen/women out there. Was hoping for some insight for an experienced angler looking to move into the world of flyfishing! I'm in the process of moving to Bend from the Eugene area and figured this area would be a great place to learn and practice flyfishing.

I typically target trout, steelhead (never caught one yet) and salmon. I'm *really* interested in spey fishing for some reason, it looks really sexy to me. Would you steer me clear of spey for now? Thoughts?

Anyways, I guess my first point of attack would be to get setup with a rod/reel. Naturally, anyone experienced with something new will look for a "starter" pack, which I would like to shy away from if possible. If most of you suggest buying a cheap $100 starter setup, then I will go that route if suggested...just my opinion of starter packs are usually sub-par from past experience.

Pointers? Books? Videos?

Thanks all!

V
Van
Stop by the Patient Angler when you are in Bend. They will set you up with some good gear at a good price and you can take a lesson to get a good foundation of the basics down.

O
OnTheFly
Not sure if sexy would be the right term to describe spey casting but it is a cool thing to watch and learn how to do. Anyhoot, get yourself set up with either a 4 or 2piece 5weight rod. A 4piece is more money but more compact if you're traveling or backpacking. Start out with floating line then get some slow sink on a spare spool for lakes. The spey rod would be a nice thing to have on the Deschutes when the steelhead arrive in late August. I've seen them used on the Metolius for Bull trout as well. If you think fly fishing is something you'll really enjoy then I suggest not picking up a starter set from the bargin bin at Bi-Mart but setting yourself up instead with nicer gear.

S
Sinkline
If two-handed rods is what interest you, then go for it. Just because most folks have built a flyfishing foundation practicing more traditional methods doesn't mean a person can't start right off trying what interest you the most.

As for gear, there are several threads in here where folks have asked advice about tackle for beginning the sport. Do some looking and you'll find some threads that will interest you. You do not have to spend a fortune on rods & reels to acquire some good, solid gear that will function very well. It's more about your own budget, and what you wish to invest.

Randy

F
FlyBum
Both shops in town will definitely help you out. The Bi-Mart Blue Light Special is not recommended. Hell, I broke four rods last year and sent in three reels. All replaced or fixed for a very little fee just above shipping. That's the type of service you get when you get anything with a warranty. If you buy crap you will just have to buy new crap when you break it. As far a spey/two-handed sticks, if you can get one great, but not necessary for fishing year round in this area. In my opinion you only need a two hander when fishing for steelhead, fishing with one for anything else is pointless overkill, but great for steel.

S
spmpdr
One book i would recommed is called the "Curtis Creek Manifesto" its the basics of fly fishing illustrated and explained simply.... also when you get your gear pm me and ill take you up to the crooked river. Its a great river for beginners . Im a novice myself, ive only been fly fishing for about a year but its been awesome!!!!. Set yourself up with some good gear dont buy cheap stuff youll regret it .

F
flipper
Thanks for all the replies everyone! It's appreciated.

So, I think I've made my choice on rod and reel for now (6w).

Echo Ion Fly Reel
Echo Ion Fly Rod

Seems like a nice choice to me. SPMPDR, I'll definitely take you up on your offer once I actually acquire the gear and fool with it for a few weeks :)

S
steelhead1
flipper said:

Echo Ion Fly Reel
Echo Ion Fly Rod

Seems like a nice choice to me. SPMPDR, I'll definitely take you up on your offer once I actually acquire the gear and fool with it for a few weeks :)
Echo rods are the sh*t!They handle real nice and they are exellent when it comes to warranty work...

O
OnTheFly
Get the 5wt. It's more than enough to handle any trout in the state. eggs owns an 8' 8" 3wt he brought back from Korea and that's the only trout rod he uses.

eggs fishing the Metolius
Metolius003.jpg

V
Van
flipper said:

Echo Ion Fly Reel
Echo Ion Fly Rod

I have that same set up in a 7wt and really like it. "Local" company too.

H
halibuthitman
flipper said:

Echo Ion Fly Reel
Echo Ion Fly Rod

very good choice... echo is the working mans Sage.

F
FlyBum
Hell, if you happen to break that stick (I've broken two) the turnaround from them is excellent! Got them back in a week if not less, no questions asked :)