Walleye in Lookout...

B
bigfootfish
The owner of the tackle shop in Oakridge told me where to fish Lookout for walleye, and what to use, and where to use it. One thing for sure, people can get really hot about the opinions of walleye. They are an invasive species, no doubt, and short of spending millions trying to wipe them out, which wouldn't work unless you poisoned the whole waterbody and killed everything else, we might as well accept their existence and see if we can catch them. I have not yet, but they are a game fish and I hear they fight good and are tasty to boot.
Anyway, the owner said to go to where the Willy flows into lookout when the rez is full and use crappie jigs. That's all he said. Haven't had a chance to find out if that was/is good advice.

T
Thuggin4Life
I hear you can pick one up grapple fishing as well.

B
bigfootfish
grapple?

grapple?

Thuggin4Life said:

Grapple? Naw. Why would you use climbing gear for fishing? lol!

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:

:lol:

F
Finneus Polebender
They had that stretch closed for research for a while years back havent looked it up lately in the synop they had odfw nets and gear out there , do know a couple times a season years back trollin for trout/kokanee we would get spooled and busted or just flat busted off by somethin big always thought it might be landlock salmon ,maybe big walleye .

T
Thuggin4Life
thats the smart phone for you. always changing your words thinking its smarter than you. i meant crappie.

T
TTFishon
Thuggin4Life said:
thats the smart phone for you. always changing your words thinking its smarter than you. i meant crappie.

I should've known. lol I thought you were being a smart arse. lol

Yeah, that seems to be where the crappie fishermen go.

G
giveneratry
I'm new out here from Ohio and used to fish Lake Erie for Walleye!! Some tasty fish and nice fighters! Good luck

D
dtikey
Also heard they are catching a few below dexter while steelhead and salmonm fishing...not good for the little fishies tring to make it to the ocean

O
Oregon Coast
They were griping about the largemouths eating the trout a few years back too, but that panned out fine. And look at what they are now - Sportfish. It's the same with walleye, all of the aquatic dwellers have to adapt to each new situation, like the bass versus trout rivalry. They now live in peace together. Walleye have a lot of sharp teeth so if you land one, don't forget! If I remember correctly, the state record walleye was snagged on the columbia and it was between 12 and 15 pounds. I don't regularly check the records unless it catfish. I've caught 14 wallies in my time with the biggest being on a deep purple 3" tube with blue sparkles weighing in at 6lbs 2oz on the Gilbert River. Walleye is one of the best fish I've ate and damn well one of the best fighters I've had hooked! Walleye are most definitively worth the time and trip.

R
rippin fish lips
dtikey said:
Also heard they are catching a few below dexter while steelhead and salmonm fishing...not good for the little fishies tring to make it to the ocean

Nope. Crazy.. but what can ya do right??

J
JeannaJigs
Oh jeeze I saw the OP of this thread and thought son of a !! he's back. Stupid walleye.

O
ohiojarhead
giveneratry said:
I'm new out here from Ohio and used to fish Lake Erie for Walleye!! Some tasty fish and nice fighters! Good luck

Hey, giveneratry. Send me a private about your grow up time in the Buckeye State. I was Toledo, and did Erie many times. Still have some Lake Erie Hellions (walleye lure). Pat

B
Banjo
I've fished Lookout a lot. Never ever caught a walleye, I have caught some huge Pike Minnows (3-5lbs) and even the big ones are too bony to eat. I've also caught lots of trout and kokes. Best place I've found for pike minnows is the rock wall directly across from the mid lake launch ramp. (only one usually open.) Great ramp, no dock, dickheads kept vandalizing the nice plastic dock so the ODF pulled it out and stuck it at the dam launch which is never ever open.

F
fishs-from-a-kayak
Hey guys.....Looking to target some new species. Anybody actually try for Walleye on Lookout? I was in the Bridgetown market in Lowell and overheard that ODFW had some 30"+ Walleyes in their nets. Thinking about launching the yaks Saturday from the ramp at the dam.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Me and a buddy have been talking about trying for these Walleyes. Would be a blast to check this species off at a local reservoir.

M
mikeee2362
I'm from Minnesota where we love our walleyes. Great eaters, and great fighters!

I'm definitely going to target these fish as the state record here is predicted to come out of the Columbia soon, where lots of fish being caught there in the 10-15 lb. class, and I believe the state record here is over 18 lbs. The walleyes here are bigger than back in Minnesota on the average, which is making some of my old club mates very jealous. The small 2-3 lb class is the awesome eating size and a 12 pounder could be a wall hanger. I'm looking forward to trying for something north of that 12 pound mark!!

I have tons of great river walleye gear I'm looking forward to testing out here! Back home we used a chartreuse jig head with a chartreuse tube worm body very effectively, but other colors worked well at different times, also blade baits and worm harnesses work very well. We also used a slip sinker Lindy rig with live minnows and leeches , but neither of those are legal here so we'll have to see how the artificials work. In Canada we used jigs tipped with salted minnows with deadly success, but then again they also bit on anything we stuck in front of them.
Looking forward to see any reports from guys who target these fish, and I will definitely post any report I might have!!

Good luck out there!!

F
fishs-from-a-kayak
Thanks guys. Thats exactly what I was going to start out with "Rapalas" and a sinker....we shall see how it goes.

G
grizzlynitemare
This is a great thing to read. I've been looking up where walleye are in lakes that are close by where my family lives. I would have already tried the Columbia, but all my family has is a little old 12' smokercraft with a little dinky motor on it. The McKenzie pushed that thing all over the place, but it works well up at the Cascade lakes near bend/la pine. I am really excited reading this and I am gonna have to snag the boat one day this summer and go try out up there for my first walleye!

F
fishs-from-a-kayak
I was also reading up on Munsel lake in Florence. It has a 4 out 5 rating for Walleye according to fishnotes.