Multnomah Channel walleye first timer

M
minnowmagnet
I went out to the channel yesterday to target walleye for the first time. Expectations were low because I had never fished for them before, but apparently I did the right research to hook into a couple of quality fish. My first was 22.5 inches and then later I landed this good looking 26 inch fish. There were a dozen or so other boats in the neighborhood fishing for walleye as well so I guess the fishing is pretty good right now. I pulled a worm harness behind a smile blade with some beads and a small corkie. I was a little unimpressed by the fight the fish put up, but they are really neat fish to look at, and what gnarly teeth! Walleye is the ling cod of the river.

• 20140720_125555.jpg
Reactions: igquick
E
eugene1
That's a really nice 'eye!

They're a good eating fish, not sure about ones outta the MC or Columbia though. Maybe too toxic?

Best,

S
Socaaron
Wow great job minnow! I recently went out with a buddy for our first time walleye fishing, we caught a few but nothing that good sized way to go! Did you get an early start on the day(everything i read said best success is early early or late) I see it was overcast so that must have helped a bunch too. Trolling around the coon island area?

bass
bass
Great job MM! Sounds like it was an awesome day. I have not fished for walleye in Oregon yet but it is not my (rather long) to do list.

bass
bass
eugene1 said:
That's a really nice 'eye!

They're a good eating fish, not sure about ones outta the MC or Columbia though. Maybe too toxic?

Best,

Think spicy and it will not bother you as much :)

E
eugene1
M
minnowmagnet
Socaaron said:
Wow great job minnow! I recently went out with a buddy for our first time walleye fishing, we caught a few but nothing that good sized way to go! Did you get an early start on the day(everything i read said best success is early early or late) I see it was overcast so that must have helped a bunch too. Trolling around the coon island area?
Thanks. I did not get a good start on the day, but I think the overcast conditions might have helped. I was trolling close to the Sauvie Island Boat Ramp focusing on 25-35fow. I tried again on Monday in my kayak in the hot sun and got nothing but sunburned. I would love to learn more about walleye fishing here in the Columbia system.
By the way, I donated that fish to my friend with the boat. He had never tasted walleye. I know it would be okay to eat one or two polluted fish, but I just can't get the thought out of my mind enough to take one home and enjoy it. All my future walleye will be going back in the water.

M
mikeee2362
minnowmagnet said:
. All my future walleye will be going back in the water.

Nice job!! Don't know much about the toxicity issues with the MC but dumping one of the best eating fish you can hope to catch back in the water would be a mistake!! Keep the 2-3 pounders they are some good eats!! But go ahead and keep growing those potential record breakers!!

I
igquick
now that's a great walleye