Wading boot advice

S
SmallStreams
Waco - what failed for you with the Korkers? Knowing that may help the rest of us keep our Korkers alive longer.

W
waco
Here they are!! Make your own judgment!
20131221_235544.jpg

H
halibuthitman
ALL wading boots are pieces of ****... period-

J
JeannaJigs
I've had my korkers guide something or another whatever, and they've lasted me about 3 years. Finally starting to show that they've seen better days and the boa system is rapidly failing...It depends on what kind of river you're fishing also, if you're fishing sandy rivers, the sand gets in and works it's way under the interchangeable soles (and the boa whatever you want to call it) and they can and will eventually work free, it also wears down anywhere your boots are sewn...the rivers I fish in the winter are sandy mothers and they really aren't korker friendly. My next boots will be non interchangeable.

hobster
hobster
halibuthitman said:
ALL wading boots are pieces of ****... period-

That's what I'm starting to think. I've heard that Simms break down fast as well, just depends on who you talk to. I try to dry mine by the wood stove after each use, I think it helps the longevity, but they all deteriorate after a while.

B
Bgunder
I have a pair of cabelas ultralight 2s that have been going strong for two years, and I have done a lot of hiking in them.I also got them for dirt cheap in a package deal with my waders for 75 bucks though which is why I got them and not a nicer pair.I think one thing that can either extend the life or shorten the life of any wading boot is how quickly you dry them out between trips or if you dry them out at all.

EOBOY
EOBOY
be. Going fishing Fri. or Sat. side drifting either the Selitz. or nestuc.

C
ChezJfrey
Bgunder said:
I have a pair of cabelas ultralight 2s that have been going strong for two years, and I have done a lot of hiking in them.I also got them for dirt cheap in a package deal with my waders for 75 bucks though which is why I got them and not a nicer pair.I think one thing that can either extend the life or shorten the life of any wading boot is how quickly you dry them out between trips or if you dry them out at all.

I once had that same pair...here's a shot of them at a year old when they could no longer stay on my feet and the sole had been screwed back together twice:

2013-02-08_19-03-07_667.jpg

S
SmallStreams
JeannaJigs said:
[Korkers in sandy rivers] also wears down anywhere your boots are sewn.

I was wondering if the uppers, like in Waco's picture, are actually being eaten away by saltwater?

When I bought my Korkers, the salesman recommended regularly cleaning the boa system of grit. That's not been a problem for me after one year, but I am getting the beginning of wear on the uppers.

W
waco
SmallStreams said:
I was wondering if the uppers, like in Waco's picture, are actually being eaten away by saltwater?

If you are saying that because I live in Tillamook, the answer is no, I just moved here 6 months ago, I used to live in Clackamas so was fishing the Clackamas and sometimes the Sandy rivers when owned this boots!!

Chromatose
Chromatose
[h=2]Chota Caney Fork Lug Wading Boots[/h]
Nuff Said.

O
OnTheFly
I bought a pair of Korkers Redsides and hate them. They began falling apart after one season and have continued to deteriorate. Since I have a variety of the interchangeable soles, I will most likely buy better model of Korkers again. However, Simms have caught my eye as well.

1 nut in the water
Hmmmmm. After reading about all the problems people have had with both Korkers, simms and Chota maybe I will stick with my $10 nike "roller skate" tennis shoes.......