Vise advice

H
hookbait
I got bit by the fly fishing bug hard late this fall. While I'm not geared up for Steel/Salmon yet I do have a trout setup. Since I really enjoy making tackle, spinners currently, I thought I would spend the time before next trout season learning to tie flies.

I've got a Christmass budget of about $100 bucks, so I'm looking for a vise that will leave some for some of the other critical items, bobins, scissors, whip finishers, etc. Fisherman's has a Rotary Crown for about $35 bucks that I've seen decent reviews on and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with them, or advice on a different vice in the $50 range?

F
fish4life
You might want to check out cabelas they have fly tying kits and tools on sale right now, also if you spend $99 or more shipping is free.

Irishrover
Irishrover
My first vise I got from Cabelas for about $13.00. I used it fore several years before geting a rotorary vise. I still use it form time to time. To get started you don't have to spend a lot on a vise. Good luck and I hope you enjoy tying.

H
hookbait
What about a kit like this one??

It's currently going for $30 bucks at Cabela's. Does anyone have experience with the type of vise it comes with? Did abit of digging at it looks like it's the Cabela's Super AA vice included in the kit.

Last edited:
L
Lamzy
Try River City Fly Shop o Scholls Ferry Rd in Beaverton
I pirchased a not to fancy, set with all the parafanala for 40$. Do't kow haw much the sey is now.
Since you live in FG we could go together some time
503 357 5319
KiltedBob

Chromatose
Chromatose
Hookbait, Most who have taken up tying get just what your looking at. Simple flip tab to lock jaws. The kit your looking at is a good way to start out. Has many of the things you will need and it is a all in one. Another good thing about the kit is the fact it has a stand and a screw lock. A case for travel is a plus as well. Good Luck with your new fishing experience.

Reactions: hookbait
H
hookbait
Lamzy said:
Try River City Fly Shop o Scholls Ferry Rd in Beaverton
I pirchased a not to fancy, set with all the parafanala for 40$. Do't kow haw much the sey is now.
KiltedBob

Lamzy, it would be great to go visit River City but their hours don't mix with my work schedule. I was excited to see they are offering some things online now but unfortunately their tying stuff isn't up on their site yet.

H
hookbait
Fish4life and Irishrover, thanks for putting me onto the Cabela's lead.

Chromatose, thanks for the confirmation on the Cabela's kit. I might give River City a call and see what info they can give me over the phone but I'm leaning toward getting the kit from Cabela's at this point.

Irishrover
Irishrover
The Cabelas super AA is the very vise I have used for years. The spring on it is handy for laying material out of the way while tying other material onto the hook. It gets the job done. I still use it now and then.

Last edited:
Reactions: hookbait
O
OnTheFly
If there is any way you can fork out the bucks for a rotary vice then do it. Even if you are a beginner, it will come in handy.

G
GDBrown
Kits are great, BUT!

Kits are great, BUT!

hookbait said:
What about a kit like this one??
It's currently going for $30 bucks at Cabela's. Does anyone have experience with the type of vise it comes with? Did abit of digging at it looks like it's the Cabela's Super AA vice included in the kit.

I have used that vise and my "kit" is nearly forty years old and it still does what I need.:shock:

You will find that the kit will be the least expensive part of what you need. I started with a kit that included materials and they only lasted for about fifty flies:( and then I had to start looking for tying materials and that was when the wife got nervous.:rolleyes: It can be a very enjoyable and frustrating experience but there is nothing more satisfying than catching a fish with a fly you tied!

GD