uv proven to me

F
FishSchooler
Yea, those are basically the only corkies I have! a handful of UV corkies in orange, green, and blue in sizes 12 and 10

T
Troutier Bassier
! Where did you get them?
I need to catch a salmon steelhead soon.

F
FishSchooler
I got them at Joe's... But they are gone. They probably have them at Fisherman's and they have them at Dick's, but I am not familiar with tackle/sports shops in Gresham. You don't need them to catch salmon and steelhead and you should be more on the hardware (spoons/spinners) side this time of the year. If you really wanted to, get some really small UV spin n glows and rip out the wings. Just use ordinary corkies if you need them in size 12 and 10. If you use size 1 hooks, use a size 10 corkie. If the corkie fits in the gap of the hook, it will work. Use power eggs and you won't even need a corkie! I'm planning to use some orange power eggs. They stay on the hook longer and smell stronger. I also have some UV dye that you can just squirt on lures and they are good to go. Lots of stuff to use besides UV corkies!

T
Troutier Bassier
Well There is a Fishermans store near me in Delta Park, But I dont go the that offten. But My friend told me that he caught a Steelie on Poweregs But I didet Belive him, And I did see that UV Scent,
Pro-Cure UV Scents.
So next time I go to Fishermans, I will buy some Bluefox, Vibrax, and Krockidiles (?)

F
FishSchooler
UV isn't a scent, but I know what you mean. ;)
I guess you could get bluefoxes, but they definitely aren't the best spinners out there. Flash Glows look decent as well as rooster tails. If you really want to use spoons, I like kastmasters, little cleos, and those SteeLee spoons. They all are easy to cast and their actions are great. spoons are used to target the monster steelhead, so I would stick with spinners. Try to use your own spinners. From now on, all my steelhead and coho spinners are mostly going to be my own.

T
Troutier Bassier
Im not that stupid, I know what UV Is.
And about the spoons, My dad hooked a Steelhead while we were Bass fishing in the Washougl River. too bad it was wild >=(

But RoosterTails, and Bluefoxes are Availble to me. So are most other spinners that they sell at Fishermans.

H
halibuthitman
FishSchooler said:
UV isn't a scent, but I know what you mean. ;)
I guess you could get bluefoxes, but they definitely aren't the best spinners out there. Flash Glows look decent as well as rooster tails. If you really want to use spoons, I like kastmasters, little cleos, and those SteeLee spoons. They all are easy to cast and their actions are great. spoons are used to target the monster steelhead, so I would stick with spinners. Try to use your own spinners. From now on, all my steelhead and coho spinners are mostly going to be my own.
I have caught more fish on pixies and blue foxes than you will ever see, saying a roostertail is better than a pixie is ridiculous, its like a soup sandwich, it doesn't make any sense.... do you know how to fish a blue fox?

F
Fishtopher
halibuthitman said:
I have caught more fish on pixies and blue foxes than you will ever see, saying a roostertail is better than a pixie is ridiculous, its like a soup sandwich, it doesn't make any sense.... do you know how to fish a blue fox?

Uhh, a roostertail is better than a pixie. And I had soup sandwiches for dinner last night...And B.F.'s spinners make good scrap metal.

T
Troutier Bassier
Yes I do know how to fish a BLuefox, I think I do at least,
Cast upstream, Let drift down when at bottom of drift slowly Reel?

H
halibuthitman
thats definitely one way to fish them, a spinner or spoon both are designed to emulate a stunned or wounded fish sculpin frog or whatever, a pixie with the colored center is actually a false egg pattern so if you put the big single hook that comes with them on and pich the barb shut you can roll and drift it through a hole.... a killer tech for silvers and kings, blue fox spinners should be cast straight upstream or at and angle and quickly reeled in with several speed changes and mabey even a drop, the drop will usally induce a strike becouse the change in speed will cause the fish to think he's losing it and most fish hit on the fall, I change ALL my spinners to single barbless hooks to help prevent hangups on the bottom. a lot of people miss kings and silvers on hardware becouse they Jerk hard to set the hook, but the way a nook or silver hits its prey it sets the hook itself, a hard tug or jerk will often pull the hook out of the fishes mouth, treble hooks have closer shanks and spin in the water, and in my opinion are a disadvantage in many situations. since your line is already tight, when you feel a strike the fish will be continuing on so all you need to do is firmly lift your rod tip and let the fish turn, if you are fishing a single hook you will get a firm hook-up more often than not. Trout and steelhead are a whole nother story, more often than not they will be chasing or approaching the lure from below, hit, and turn usaly in the middle of the strike, so a hooked fish is hooked or not and you rarely have any control of the success of the strike, if I see a steelhead following my lure but not too aggressively I will stop reeling, often the fish will slam it the second it hits the bottom. Roostertails have a trait that is famous.. the feathers on the tail are much often longer than the hooks, so you hear a lot of guys fishing them talking about missing a lot of strikes, and since a steelheads first strike is often just a stun strike, a roostertail will fail.... a lot, so cut the tail feathers back half way up the hooks if you insist on using them, but if lures with feathers on the hook were more effective, every spinner would have them, just my opinion thought.;)

T
Troutier Bassier
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I have a good Idea!!!!!!!!

I have these Scaulpin Plastics used for bass. If I use them for Coho or Steelhead would they work?

Cause this one old timers saw me catch a Scaulpin at Salish and He told me to Keep it and Use it for Steelhead bait? Would this Maybe work?

H
halibuthitman
A steelhead is just a rainbow trout, no matter what anyone says, the longer one has been in the river the more its feeding habits and food resemble a trout, for instance, brite colors work best on brite or fresh to the system fish, however, a fish that has wintered or spent all summer in the river is going to respond better to smaller baits in green black or yellow. A sculpin pattern would work best on dark fish that have resided in the river or lake. My favorite fly to use on the Karta river in Alaska is a green maribou muddler minnow, that is intended to emulate a sculpin. Try it, thats what fishing is all about!:)

F
FishSchooler
Or just toss a worm with a couple of split shot so it will rollllll all the way down. Almost anything will work for steelhead (proven by someone named Ian who is armed with broccoli, cheerios, and canned asparagus, and who knows what) as long as you can find them. They just strike out of aggression most of the time, so just use something irritating, like a big pink plastic worm or a flashy spinner or a darting plug. Just find the fish!

T
Troutier Bassier
Or a Big Red Rattling Plug That makes a Bunch of Noise!

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Or a Big Red Rattling Plug That makes a Bunch of Noise!

Bass crankbaits will probably work. Just make sure it's red, black, blue, shiny... just shiny and colorful (not to outragggggeously standing outtish that it just scares everything). Just remember, you just have to find the fish.

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah, Someone on the forum sent me a few pages on reading water. Learned a few things. I learned all you have to find oxygenated water and there should be at least 1 or 2 fish holding.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Yeah, Someone on the forum sent me a few pages on reading water. Learned a few things. I learned all you have to find oxygenated water and there should be at least 1 or 2 fish holding.

Oxygenated water in the summer means fast water, and fast water doesn't really mean holding. All the fish traveling through the riffles will be the aggressive ones.

T
Troutier Bassier
Oh So find fast water and find aggresive Steelhead? Got it.
What about Eddys? Do any Aggresive fish hold there?

F
FishSchooler
What I've been told, fish that are "holding" in holes aren't going to bite that often. If you find a seam causing an eddy, fish the seam

D
Derek
In the summer when the water is low and clear i always use darker colors and smaller corkies. Sometimes they will go for anything but when water is low and clear they seem to get a little more skiddish. I use a lot of black with a little chartruse starting usually late july. Like I said sometimes they will take anything. If you can see the fish just start drifting stuff there way and see what color they want. Usually stuff like UV works better for winter fish when the water is colored not sayin it wont work this time of year but there is realy no reason to use it when water is low and clear.

Top Bottom