Umpqua springers

R
rippin fish lips
Chedster said:
You will find that most people are launching further upriver. Reedsport is the place to be when fishing for fall chinook but not springers. The water volume is much larger and colder in the spring so the springers blast through it quickly. But it could never hurt to go and troll around to see if you find any fish. If you launch upriver and are running a prop make sure and take her slow to avoid rocks. Find a river bend about 6-8' deep and kick back and wait for the fish to come to you. It can be incredibly boring sitting and waiting so bring beer and good company :D.

when you say further up river do you mean, like i could put in ad reedsport and work my way up?? if i remember correctly right after reedsport is when the big boulders start showing up??? we will be in a fiberglass 22 footer :p so im not sure how far we will be able to go up

R
RunWithSasquatch
Scottsburg area.

R
rippin fish lips
RunWithSasquatch said:
Scottsburg area.

ahh ok yeah thats what i was thinkin after i posted that last post. there is some big rocks in there!! but i think we should be fine, we might try it out idk tho.

R
RunWithSasquatch
You should think about taking a scout trip to get an understanding of whats going on, a little better. You can see a lot of boats fish from the bridge just below scottsburg, and then there is a free boat ramp a 1/2 mile or less below that bridge. Its really a sled river, but I think there are some opportunities local to that ramp with out one.

R
rippin fish lips
RunWithSasquatch said:
You should think about taking a scout trip to get an understanding of whats going on, a little better. You can see a lot of boats fish from the bridge just below scottsburg, and then there is a free boat ramp a 1/2 mile or less below that bridge. Its really a sled river, but I think there are some opportunities local to that ramp with out one.

yeah i drive by the scottsburg area a lot and see a lot of big rocks and sleds and drift boats in that area. no fiberglass boats =/ we are just gunna take it towards the reedsport area and see if we can pull anything there. Next year i should have my own drift boat so ill set that area for next years trip:p

F
fredaevans
The report is up-dated over the course of a week so it can be a bit dated, but for the waters I fish here in So-Oar it's been pretty dead on over the past 2-3 years. If you're fishing a river (Rogue as an example) pulling up the USGS flow gage reports can really give you a view on where/when to fish.

Here's an example of one at Dodge Bridge on the Rogue. You have an 800 number to call to get the out-flow from Wm Jess dam and then you look at this one (there's also one at Gold Ray, Grants Pass, and Agness). Subtract the first from the second and you have all the incoming feeder stream info ... including turbidity (How's the water look?). All gages don't have the 'T-Report' but most major river reportings do. A good thing.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=14339000

You had/have a damned good idea just exactly what to expect before you ever leave the house.

I can live with that.
;>)

Fred

Edit: the small triangles are the normal historic flows. And about the top limit the use of a fly rod becomes a crap shoot.

Last edited: