Umpqua River

S
Scarecro
yeah id give the cougar creek spot bout a month or so. havent seen it this year but im sure the rock i walk out on is still underwater.

well if i dont get any luck wit the shad then il just zone in on smallies. with the 80+ degree weather it shouldnt be too hard.

thnx. so you mentioned some things i havent heard of. so what should my setup look like after the swivel? or do i even need a swivel? just hook and jig?

thnx for the help.

Last edited:
M
MontanaMoose
Bass & shad

Bass & shad

Yer prolly already down there but I'd start with just the terminal tackle on the end of my leader, but then I'm in from a fly fishing point of view. If your main line is 8, then a swivel is fine...then down to 6....here's a trick, get some fly fishing 'tippet' material...it's mono and it's thinner per lb. test...gets down easier.

I never just still fish but I notice the guys at the one really popular spot down there stand practically shoulder to shoulder doing just still fishing...not much drifting or retrieving lures. From my limited experience, all you need to do is when you cast slightly down and across...not a long cast either....30 40 ft. is good...just let the dart/jig/tiny lure/whatever...just swing across...that way you'll be showing the terminal to more shad faces. You'll prolly pick up bass that way too. Give it a try. If yer doin' it right you'll be fishing plenty deep enough...and thank you for the 'rock' clue. I'll look for that once I go down there. Yeah, the smallies should be goin' now and the water prolly won't be too high. Hope you get/got some of each !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Scarecro said:
well if i dont get any luck wit the shad then il just zone in on smallies. with the 80+ degree weather it shouldnt be too hard.

thnx. so you mentioned some things i havent heard of. so what should my setup look like after the swivel? or do i even need a swivel? just hook and jig?

thnx for the help.

S
Scarecro
wow. tyee is a joke right now. water is still to high to get to any of the good spots. its moving really fast so anything you throw out there is going to get pusjed right back onto the shore. got a few bites and lost a shad 2 feet from landing. its going to be a few good weeks before i hit the river again. went to a few different spots along the river. No one around us was having any luck either. bummed.

M
MontanaMoose
One shad

One shad

Well you were the only one that caught a shad maybe...better'n a poke in the eye with a sharp stick....back to the lake I guess. Warm temps got the river up I suppose.

I could be up at the lake Monday maybe.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
Scarecro
MontanaMoose said:
Well you were the only one that caught a shad maybe...better'n a poke in the eye with a sharp stick....back to the lake I guess. Warm temps got the river up I suppose.

I could be up at the lake Monday maybe.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Copper creek is fished out. last 3 times ive gone up there ive gotten nothing. i got a bass on my spinner today but it shook itself off the hook.

I willbe headed to hemlock tomorrow. or lake in the woods depends how the snow is. So lets say they couldnt get up to hemlock to stock on the scheduled date a cpl weeks ago, do you think they would go stock it as soon as possible? or would they just wait till the next scheduled stocking?

either way theres still fish in there regardless. I hope :confused:

M
MontanaMoose
Hemlock, Cooper Creek, Lake Of The Woods

Hemlock, Cooper Creek, Lake Of The Woods

I've never fished Hemlock or LOTW but I have fished Cooper Creek a lot Scarecro and believe me, it's not fished out...I just hope yer there when the bass move to the shoreline. Might have already...went 'boating' on the mainstem Umpqua yesterday and got zipped...tried for smallies too...nothing...but then we were right in town, plus Cleveland.

I was going to go somewhere today but it's too hot so I'm doing 'yardwork'...you know, things in the shade that involve having to get a lot of things to drink 'cause of the heat. Let me know how you did on the Hemlock/LOTW trip. As for any info about the stocking trucks, I don't really keep up with that but I would imagine there are always holdovers from the last stockings or even the previous season. Works that way at Stump at least.

Also, I'm back in town now. Was using the laptop and for some reason will no longer allow me to log in to OFF. Oh, oh....I got comp work to do now I guess.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

M
MontanaMoose
Umpqua

Umpqua

I haven't forgotten specialk...wondering though, is same day letting you know soon enough? I din't go today as too hot and the river is a bit high actually...tomorrow looks to be cooler and the river might be down enough to make it worthwhile. Let me know as I could wind up going around 9 or 10am.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

specialk0082 said:
next time u go let me know moose

A
ArcticAmoeba
Scarecro, just tie up a drop shot rig essentially. A 12"-40"dropper(dependent on riverbed contour) to a lead sinker, and a 2-3' leader off of a three way chain swivel, or spreader. Weight is gonna be anywhere from 1/8-1 oz. depending on where you fish it. But just "side bounce" the weight across the bottom, and wait for a fish to pick it up. Screw around with dropper length, but hang it up off the bottom a foot or more first pass through slower water. And go from there. Leaders could be any length and as small as 2-4 lb., but I usually run something about 24-36 inches in the 6 pound neighborhood for the lower Willy action.

M
MontanaMoose
Whistler's

Whistler's

Hey specialk, I'm heading up to Whistler's in about an hour or less and I so just letting you know in case you see this. I'll watch for the email notification that you posted a reply.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

specialk0082 said:
next time u go let me know moose