Umpqua River

B
Backcastwards
MontanaMoose said:
I'll head up the North from town here in an hour or so...anyone want to meet up, I'll watch the thread till I go out the door. I'll be up in the flywater and i drive a small yellow four door GM product plus if the sun stays out I'll be the one with the funny straw hat.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Well? no report, no pics?

M
MontanaMoose
Report sans pics

Report sans pics

Well I spent about 3 hours or so upriver and a lot of it was driving. I drove clear up past the store and then some. Fished the pool at about mp 37 and nothing happened. Fished space 10 pool for a good while, again nothing happened. The water looked great..clearing fast but high and as the day wore on it got higher still. I saw a number of hatches but nary a rise nor did I spot any steel anywhere I observed water...no one was fishing at Steamboat, though there were fly fishers scattered about, looking for decent water. Saw a long, long time reg coming up as I was leaving so maybe next trip (soon) will be later in the day.

It wasn't cold but I did wear three layers. I did not wade. I wanted to stop at the 'high school' run but ran out of time. I'll be watching for the river to drop a bit more. Surprising thing of the day was that there was hardly anybody about, even at Swiftwater.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Backcastwards said:
Well? no report, no pics?

J
joemomma
I fish down there with a guide, north and south forks, main stem too. Like chuck said there are places to be and not to be! Can't help ya because, half the time, i'm lost down there!

M
MontanaMoose
Springers and shad

Springers and shad

Well I made a run to the coast and checked the main stem Umpqua out...was basically looking for smallies or steel as I flyfish from the bank. I hooked a nice smallie near Mack Brown or whatever it's called and a couple days later I got some bumps...some pretty heavy feeling and I was in a shad lane, so things are picking up. Lots of boats and bank ppl too, though the only thing I actually saw caught was a couple of shad.

Going back soon and will check in.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

B
Backcastwards
The Kings are in and thick. Lots going over the dam.:clap:
Gary

S
Scarecro
A couple days ago i me and a buddy got us a couple steelhead down in tyee. In another month or so im gonna go down that way and check a couple of my bass holes.

M
MontanaMoose
Good !

Good !

Well I'm glad you and your bud got a couple steel at Tyee Scarecro..take it yer bankin' it down there? Did you see anybody getting shad?

Yeah, the bass are picking up down by mack and lower...already got a strike or two though no hookups. Din't try all that much though as high water. Had a good one though and saw the 'shad lineup' below that one boatramp.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
susqwahanna
Fished the Rock Creek and Swiftwater Bridge hole Sunday. Lots of people and only one fish see caught. Lost 5 lures. Water is high and swift and good color. It needs to drop a bit though. Almost everyone observed was float fishing eggs.

S
Scarecro
MontanaMoose said:
Well I'm glad you and your bud got a couple steel at Tyee Scarecro..take it yer bankin' it down there? Did you see anybody getting shad?

Yeah, the bass are picking up down by mack and lower...already got a strike or two though no hookups. Din't try all that much though as high water. Had a good one though and saw the 'shad lineup' below that one boatramp.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

no shad yet. i dont even know how to fish for them.

M
MontanaMoose
Shad darts....

Shad darts....

That's what they call them and there isn't much to them. Sorta like a crappie jig only thinner and smaller and made with fly tying matls. Then they drift them in the lane or cast acrosss and slightly down from what I've seen. I don't really fish for shad though. Guess they make good crab bait and garden fertilizer.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

M
MontanaMoose
Week or so

Week or so

Gotta go outastate, but hopefully I'll go up the North Umpqua next week when I get back. Thinking it should be in good shape then. I'll try at Whistler's Bend with big dry flies.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

susqwahanna said:
Fished the Rock Creek and Swiftwater Bridge hole Sunday. Lots of people and only one fish see caught. Lost 5 lures. Water is high and swift and good color. It needs to drop a bit though. Almost everyone observed was float fishing eggs.

S
specialk0082
MontanaMoose said:
Gotta go outastate, but hopefully I'll go up the North Umpqua next week when I get back. Thinking it should be in good shape then. I'll try at Whistler's Bend with big dry flies.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
next time u go let me know moose

M
MontanaMoose
North Umpqua

North Umpqua

Will do specialk, will mark the email notification as unread to remind me
to let you know when I head up to Whistlers...may go other areas too...depends on Whistlers. I forget if you're close by Roseburg or not.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

specialk0082 said:
next time u go let me know moose

M
MontanaMoose
I see it now....

I see it now....

Ok specialk, I see yer in Goshen...not a bad pull for a day of hope on the North umpqua.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
Scarecro
stopped by the fish ladder today and saw some monsters head upriver. saw a couple 30 lbers.

Ill let you guys know how Tyee is. I know some great smallie bass holes for when the river drops a bit.

M
MontanaMoose
30's

30's

Good sounding springers Scarecro...I stop by the ladder once in a while too. I'll watch for the Tyee report and I'm always interested in a smallie report. I've got a few places downriver I go to for smallies also.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
Scarecro
MontanaMoose said:
Good sounding springers Scarecro...I stop by the ladder once in a while too. I'll watch for the Tyee report and I'm always interested in a smallie report. I've got a few places downriver I go to for smallies also.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Ever go to cougar creek?go at the right time of day with some worms and youll be bringing in at least ten of them bad boys. :cool:

M
MontanaMoose
Cougar Creek

Cougar Creek

Well I prolly have Scarecro...just don't recall exactly where down there it is...I've smallied clear down to Scotsburg though and I want to look for them other sections too. I'll have to tye up some more worm flies...

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

S
Scarecro
Couger creek is right past the tyee store headed to elkton. You cross the bridge then take a left. 3 miles down that road is smallie gold.

Question time!

So as you know, im going shad fishing tomorrow with my buddy whos never gone either. I went and bought those hooks the the eyeball weight and i got tons of jigs.

My first Q is, Do i need any extra weights anywhere on the line? Or do i just tie the eyeball hook at the end and thats it?

Another question, DO shad like calmer water or fast water? I know that they dwell on the bottom but just dont know if we should be looking for a calm hole or fish a fast little channel?

im such a noob:(

M
MontanaMoose
Cougar and shad

Cougar and shad

Oh ok...not actually turned left over the bridge....I'll have to check that out real soon...thanks for the tip Scarecro.

Well, I've caught a shad before..just one...they're so slimy I din't want much to do with them but I know a lot of ppl like to catch them. I was fly fishing for smallies actually and someone said the shad were in so i put on a small yellow fly that works for just about everything around the Umpqua and one hit it on the first or second cast. I pinch my barbs down so it was easy to just slip the hook once I played it in.

Your lead eyes and your jigs will work as long as they're fairly small...and fairly fast water is where I got my one and only shad so far but I see ppl going for them using a drift technque so they're prolly not fishing that deep. Try slacks and eddys, fast and medium fast. If you can't get the shad dart or jig down then cast across and up a bit and it will sink. You can try lead on the line about 18 inches up but you won't like it. To me it seems best to suit the hardware to the kind of water, either that or cast up and across...not way up, just enough so you'll get some deep time on the dart or jig. Hope you get a ton of them...they're not hard to catch if yer in 'em !...(says the guy that has caught only one)

Cheers,

MontanaMoose