Umpqua fly only

B
bgdel
I am coming up from Las vegas for July and August and want to try the Umpqua around mid-July. I am reading the regs and was wondering if this stretch of water had such strict restrictions regarding weighted flies, weight uses and strike indicators.
Any tips on how to fish this area of the river would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

jamisonace
jamisonace
No weight on line or fly and no indicators. Get a guide, its a tough stretch but well worth the effort.

S
steelhead_slayer
Beautiful tuff stretch of river. swinging works pretty well

F
fredaevans
jamisonace said:
No weight on line or fly and no indicators. Get a guide, its a tough stretch but well worth the effort.
No weighted fly is correct, but unless they've changed the Reg's again, you can use a full sink line/tips. (Haven't looked it up.)

That said, for a one day shot I'd agree with the Guide. If you don't want to go that way PM me and I'll give you lots of easy beach fishing (even with a guide that's all you can do). That said, BRING A WADING STAFF! This is the toughest 'wade water' I've ever stepped foot into .......... my first trip .... I fell down twice before I even got my boots wet. I kid you not.

Much of the bottom is highly polished flat lava rock and 'studs' are usless unless you do a 'retro' and screw in Allie sheet metal screws. Those will 'grab.' :dance:

Back to the wading staff (a long solid one) the water 'optics' are like nothing I've ever seen before. The staff is also a 'next step probe.' (Back to the lava thing.) Your next step looks like nothing, it could be a 5' drop off.:(

jamisonace
jamisonace
Actually, studs are extremely popular there and one way to identify where people like to fish is by the scratches on rocks where people stand.

That said, I don't use them and do fine but a staff is a very good idea.

Casting Call
Casting Call
If you have an old wooden hockey stick, drill a hole in the blade, loop a string through the hole, loop string around wrist (do not use a choke hitch) if you fall it floats. Just say'n. Waithing to hear of your impression of our states waters and adventures. Good luck! CC

B
bgdel
appreciate all the advice. I will probably use a guide at least one of my days but I do enjoy just getting on the water and bringing my Brittany along for the hike.
I spent a month last year fishing the coast at Reedsport and had a great time. Oregon is such a welcome change from the heat and the desert. Need to talk my wife into moving.
Thanks again

F
fredaevans
jamisonace said:
Actually, studs are extremely popular there and one way to identify where people like to fish is by the scratches on rocks where people stand.

That said, I don't use them and do fine but a staff is a very good idea.

Lord you fish there! Scratches on top of a given rock (the only place you could cast) is one of the 'Now this is really different?'

jamisonace
jamisonace
Translation?

fredaevans said:
Lord you fish there! Scratches on top of a given rock (the only place you could cast) is one of the 'Now this is really different?'

M
MattZ
Haha, I would love the Fred Translation book, as sometimes its very hard to read, haha.

There is only one method one should employ on such a stream... sometimes its not about the catching, but about the experience. Get yourself some classic salmon and steelhead flies, even if they are just NW "classics". Swing em and never say indicator. That is Umpqua. Enjoy!

jamisonace
jamisonace
This is definitely an "about the experience" river. Any higher expectations and you're setting yourself up for disappointment on your first few tries. Totally worth it though.

MattZ said:
Haha, I would love the Fred Translation book, as sometimes its very hard to read, haha.

There is only one method one should employ on such a stream... sometimes its not about the catching, but about the experience. Get yourself some classic salmon and steelhead flies, even if they are just NW "classics". Swing em and never say indicator. That is Umpqua. Enjoy!

F
fredaevans
jamisonace said:
Translation?

May I take it you've never fished the fly only section? On the lower half a gravel bar is a rare thing. Only two immediately come to mind: The south side of 'Camp Water' and the Susan Creek Day area below the camp ground. The top half has more, but the where doesn't come to mind. But they're all short and sweet. My fav. place to fish is called 'Surveyor,' (just around the bend/above Steamboat Creek. From the road side you have (maybe?) 40 yards of river you can access.

As for camping, Susan Creek wins hands down all be it there are several other 'primitive' BLM campgrounds further up the road.

As to the "scuffed rock to stand on", I wasn't kidding, there are lots of those as that's the only place you can stand and cast. For Jollies, do a Utube video search of the NU and you'll find several clips that shows exactly what I mean.

It's an amazing bit of water to fish which is why its so high on peoples 'bucket list.'