Tying Mooching Rigs

M
mikeredding
Any of you tying your own mooching rigs?
I am going to start tying my own for Chinook with 5/0 and 30# flourocarbon. I normally run blue labels and am curious what you would think is proper hook spacing. I am thinking 4"

Irishrover
Irishrover
I tie my own rigs and for a measurement I use the width of my hand, which just happens to be 4". Sometimes I'll tie the front hook on as a slider to give me more flexability with the rig. For ocean silvers I'll go about 3" and use a hoochie set up on the mooching rig.

019.jpg

Last edited:
G
grampa ron
I used to always use 3 hooks with the top 2 as sliders. Be sure to check the regs on 3 hooks.

H
halibuthitman
I have had horrible luck with kings blowing up fluoro on mooching rigs... I now just stick with mono.. one summer we tied up a bunch of rigs using 30lb braid, the braid had no adverse effect on fishing even though it was quite visible.. the silvers didn't seem to like it though.. we used a hand width.

M
mosd
ive tied my own before, sliding and solids.. its pretty easy just takes about five minutes per mooching

E
eugene1
I use 30# mono, 4/0 in front 5/0 in back for blue labels. About a 4" spacing.

M
mikeredding
mosd said:
ive tied my own before, sliding and solids.. its pretty easy just takes about five minutes per mooching

Oh yeah. I know how to tie them, i was just curious of everyones opinion on spacing for blue label herring.

M
mikeredding
eugene1 said:
I use 30# mono, 4/0 in front 5/0 in back for blue labels. About a 4" spacing.

I am going with front and back 5/0 Mustad Ultra points.

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Opps, I meant to say 5/0 in front, 4/0 trailer.

You going with the octopus style I assume?

I usually get the gami octos, but I doubt brand has much influence as long as they are sharp.

mikeredding said:
I am going with front and back 5/0 Mustad needle points.

M
mikeredding
eugene1 said:
Opps, I meant to say 5/0 in front, 4/0 trailer.

You going with the octopus style I assume?

I usually get the gami octos, but I doubt brand has much influence as long as they are sharp.

Octopus yes. Gami, no.
I am actually going away from Gami's because their barbs are so small. I am going with Mustad Ultra Points.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Digression alert! Sorry Mike

I would have totally disagreed with you about 2 months ago because I've landed many big fish on flouro. But in three trips in Oct and Nov I broke off three fish. Could be a bad batch of line I suppose. I've now switched all my leaders to 25lb big game and landed 2 pigs without incident....although now that I think about it I lost a small fish (10-12lb) due to a broken line on that trip. Who knows.....

halibuthitman said:
I have had horrible luck with kings blowing up fluoro on mooching rigs... I now just stick with mono.. one summer we tied up a bunch of rigs using 30lb braid, the braid had no adverse effect on fishing even though it was quite visible.. the silvers didn't seem to like it though.. we used a hand width.

M
mikeredding
jamisonace said:
Digression alert! Sorry Mike

I would have totally disagreed with you about 2 months ago because I've landed many big fish on flouro. But in three trips in Oct and Nov I broke off three fish. Could be a bad batch of line I suppose. I've now switched all my leaders to 25lb big game and landed 2 pigs without incident....although now that I think about it I lost a small fish (10-12lb) due to a broken line on that trip. Who knows.....

Hard to say I guess. I ran 25# mono all this season and broke off two fish. Talked to several guides that use flouro religiously so decided to give it a go. Hope I don't regret it. Definitely not cheap leader material to buy!