Tuna balls for steelhead?

S

sammyj

I know that i've heard of Tuna Balls "Oil Packed tuna in Spawn Sac" work for Salmon, but I was wondering if anyone knows if they would work for steelhead? Seems like a cheap bait as I am sometimes low on funds to but roe and sandshrimp. Or is there any other bait besides worms that I could use? Thanks for the help and be safe.:)

B

beaverfan

Steelhead will bite just about anything if presented right. My dad caught one drift fishing a grape one time. Tuna balls may work so will salad shrimp, but in my experience as far as cheap bait goes worms are the best!

M

metalfisher76

Steelhead will bite just about anything if presented right. My dad caught one drift fishing a grape one time. Tuna balls may work so will salad shrimp, but in my experience as far as cheap bait goes worms are the best!

someone say salad shrimp?:) Hate `em! But the steel? hehe

He`s right on. Steel will hit it. It can be ANYTHING

R

R&M Boatsaleslady

Worms and a needle to air them and lift 'em up!!! ") and yeah I think they would want to keep them too troutdude!

H

halibuthitman

if you are not catching fish, and it has you seeking out better, stronger more effective bait... particulary on summer fish.... the bait is not the problem-

B

Born2Fish55

Actually, I have used the oily tuna... mushed it, mixed in some powdered Krill and stuffed in those "onion sacks" that you get shallots in the produce sections of the local Grocery store. I modify a snap swivel so that it has the snap on both ends...
(finding them made that way is like finding teeth in a Chicken)
I tie one end of the bag shut, fill it, then clip it with the snap swivel... then I clip the other to my three way swivel. From there I use a dropper sinker and a bait like sand shrimp or big cocktail shrimp. I guess it is basically just a chum bag, but it works great on Coho and Chinook down at Hospital hole in Tillamook:)

R

R&M Boatsaleslady

Really I have never tried tuna! I just made salmon egg balls out of nylon which is the only reason I have nylons in this house LOL wont see me in a skirt any time soon lol lol

M

markasd

Steelhead hit any thing presented right. The fly known as the cigarette butt works well... imitates a cigarette butt - not really a source of nutrition, but steel dont know any better - must look good!!

Small baits - smaller than you'd think. I wouldn't recommend the whole worm - try 1 - 2" pieces... but try a whole one from time to time.

I've seen a guy use a whole worm, marshmellow plunked and numerous steel. Problem was he'd let em swallow the hook and with 6-8lb test the teeth would break him off.
Let us know what does work for ya?

S

Silversfish

Howdee. I am new to this forum and wow there is really lots of good stuff in here. This thread about tuna balls is just hot!