Trout fishing near Bend

M
mchris4
Hey everyone! I'll be in Bend for a ski trip over new years eve. I'd like to get away for a day, and explore a scenic central Oregon river with a fly rod in hand. Can you provide me some river suggestions that meet the following criteria: 1) Good volume of fish, I'd like to target rainbows, and land a handful in a day. 2) within an hour plus or minus from bend.

Thanks for tips!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
The Deschutes runs through Bend.

W
wils
Raincatcher said:
The Deschutes runs through Bend.

That fulfills the "one hour from Bend" criteria. :)

Check the regs for what parts of what lakes, streams, and rivers are open. The few-mile-long stretch of Crooked River below Bowman dam might (emphasis on 'might') fill your "handfull of fish" criteria. It will be pretty much low-water wherever you go. It will definitely fill the "scenic" criteria.

Where are you coming from?

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Fall River!

troutdude
troutdude
Check the reg's, check the reg's and check the reg's. Many streams are NOT open, for trout fishing.

Fall River is open, however and for example, year round. But ONLY fly fishing with BARBLESS hooks...and ONLY UPSTREAM from the falls. Dowstream of the falls, is CLOSED.

The world-renowned Metolius is also OPEN all year round; from the mouth UPSTREAM to the Allingham Bridge...but also ONLY fly fishing with BARBLESS hooks.

The also famous Deschutes, has 6 different sections--and special regs for each. Too many to write down here; but you can go the ODFW web site and download the regs.

Good luck.

S
sapo
Fish the Deschutes...Maupin if you can, above Maupin's good too, but the river's not as great right through bend there. Upper Deschutes, like the super upper part (it's pretty much a small stream) is awesome and holds some monster fish..about 30-45 mins from Bend. Fall River is ok, it's usually off and on, semi-tough to fish, I prefer the Deschutes.
Don't fish the Metolius unless you're a really good fly fisherman..the fishing isn't always superb there and it's really hard to fish..you won't have a great day unless you're really good.

M
mchris4
I'm coming from Austin, TX. I'm an Oregon State grad though, worked in Corvallis a few years after college, and grew up in Kelso, WA. Fished almost exclusively coastal rivers and the Washington Straits (Dad's stomping grounds). Buddy took me on a 3 day trip down the Deschutes a few years back, Wow! That river is awesome. I'm going to do some research on the Upper Deschutes, Crooked River and the Fall River (thx for the tips).

W
wils
as always, deschutes above benham falls is closed til spring. skiing should be nice by christmas/new years this year......if these storms keep hitting the cascades.

M
mchris4
Crooked River, Highway 27 from the Reservoir down to Castle Rock is the destination. Seems like fish reports from fisheye.com are 'good' from Dec-Jan, and with road paralleling the river, access will be cake. Should be fun! Any suggestions on ideal flows? Right below the reservoir should provide some consistency.

S
sapo
mchris the crooked sucks besides the 10 miles below bowman dam. I've fished it before and I fished it for about 12 hours in the mid lower section of the river and landed one fish, so ya it sucks. There's a reason people only fish it right below bowman.

M
mchris4
Which sections of the Deschutes are open? Wils said the upper Deschutes closed during the winter. I'm looking at the Metolius too, what's your thoughts on that? Also, if I end up at the Crooked, I'll only be fishing the 10 miles below Bowman dam.