Trout 2022 show OFF

F
Fred
The flies I used were a Perdigon style fly and a hares ear. I spaced the flies close together and the indicator not far above them. I also changed my fishing style by reeling in my fly line to the tip of my rod and leaving only a few feet of leader hanging out at the end of my pole. I used the tip of my rod to get my nymphs to hang vertically over lag jams, and then I'd drop them straight down into the sheltered pools underneath. I focused my attention on one of three juicy-looking log jams. A ton of parr would dart out and attack my flies in the shallow water, so I moved to swifter water to avoid them. Once I had done this, I missed a 6" cutthroat that grabbed my bottom nymph on the drop. I kept fishing the same hole, and eventually, my indicator stopped in the current and then got brought down. I set the hook, and much to my surprise, I had hooked a nice colored up cutthroat around 12 inches. I dragged it into the water so shallow half its body was out, but right before I could land it, it broke off. I gave the spot a rest and fished another pool without success before returning. A few casts in the indicator sunk again, and I set the hook into another similar-sized and colorful trout. I took some photos of the fish and went home happy :D. It took about two outings before I hooked those decent ones, but I've been getting little fish every trip and even in the snow. Any guesses on the cutthroats' length? My hand is about 7.5 inches from the tip of my middle finger to my wrist. My guess is 10-11 inches.

• IMG_6081.JPG
  • IMG_6103.jpg
  • IMG_6132.JPG
Reactions: O. mykiss, Admin and Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
I need to figure out where I can go fly fish. Winter was always my trout fishing time before I moved out here and I get discouraged trying to avoid running afoul of the local magistrates.

Reactions: Fred
troutdude
troutdude
@Fred is trout season open, in the stream that you were fishing? Most Willy basin streams are closed until next Spring.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Shaun Solomon said:
I need to figure out where I can go fly fish. Winter was always my trout fishing time before I moved out here and I get discouraged trying to avoid running afoul of the local magistrates.
Mckenzie is my go to winter spot.

F
Fred
troutdude said:
@Fred is trout season open, in the stream that you were fishing? Most Willy basin streams are closed until next Spring.
Yes it’s open

Reactions: troutdude
DOKF
DOKF
Well,that narrows it down somewhat. Great pics!

Trout Slayer_7
Trout Slayer_7
Got these two nice trout in a creek this afternoon got a late start but they were still really hungry got them all euro nymphing lots of fun went 2/7 it’s the joys of barbless hooks.

Reactions: Rogersjd, Bama Creek Bum, Shaun Solomon and 4 others
jamisonace
jamisonace
Beauties! But are you sure it's open? And are you sure that's not a sturgeon?

• Haha
Reactions: O. mykiss and Shaun Solomon
Admin
Admin
It's illegaly beautiful!

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude and Trout Slayer_7
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Patterns?

Maybe the joys of bad hook geometry? Barbless flies don’t cause me no problems that I can tell.

Reactions: Trout Slayer_7
Trout Slayer_7
Trout Slayer_7
You’re probably right. I also will blam at least 2 of the fish lost (if not more) on my stupidity 😂

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Heck, sometimes it is just how the cookie crumbles. Maybe the fish weren’t committing to the bug. Hard saying.

If it’s not a secret, what flies did you use?

Trout Slayer_7
Trout Slayer_7
I was using mostly a copper John but also got some bites on a hares ear

They were both jig nymphs of course.

Reactions: Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Standard copper? I used a lot of red and black too. Chartreuse and blue sometimes. I always loved John Barr’s bugs. He’s one of my favorite designers. Barr Emergers and Graphic Caddis always had several rows in my boxes, and I mostly fished my own patterns. They are just too good not to fish.

Trout Slayer_7
Trout Slayer_7
I agree with you here, they were green copper johns.

Reactions: Shaun Solomon
J
Jonah
Nice catch! I need to get out soon and do the same. Kids keeping me busy.

Reactions: Trout Slayer_7
F
Fred
Went fishing with a friend in February after he’d been away for a few years. We got this beautiful fish on a prince nymph. Also here’s a photo of a fish I caught on the same fly today at hagg.

Reactions: Admin
Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Nice! Gorgeous fish!

Also love the rubber net, won’t split fins and easy on their skin.

That Hagg fish looks to have been eating well. Wonder if it has been in the lake for a while…? ‘Tis the season for chironomids.

F
Fred
Caught this colorful fishy on a reverse spider.

trout.jpg

Reactions: Troutski, olshiftybiscuits, O. mykiss and 4 others
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
beauty.