trolling motor

F
fish face
If I were to get a trolling motor, what kind of thrust would I need for a 16 foot smoker craft?

C
capblack
it depends on what kind of water youre on and for how long. a 32 lb troller moved my 16 ft fiberglass boat, but it wouldnt last very long. it shouldnt take much to move a 16 ft aluminum if youre not fishing big water with big winds.

J
JeannaJigs
I had a 32lb on my 12ft mirror craft and it pushed that thing pretty good, ran it with 2 deep cycle batteries and it went all day. That said, I also had a 6 horse old school 2 stroke on there that also worked well, just noisier than the electric.

G
grampa ron
If you can afford it, get a Minkota bow mount with the autopilot. It is way easier to pull the boat than push it. It will work in the wind much better and you can fish hands free. If you must get a transom mount, get the biggest you can afford. In the long run it will move your boat better and consume less power.

Troutski
Troutski
I had a 54lbs thrust on my 15 foot SmokerCraft Alaskan, Tiller and it did just fine, I agree with what was said... buy all you can, in the long run you won't be sorry.

Chuck

J
JeannaJigs
I've been drooling over the minn Kota 130# 24v for my drift boat

H
Hawk
I've bean reel happy with the Minnkota bow mount, 50lb thrust 12volt motor, on my 16' aluminum starboard console boat & two deep cycle batteries.........:lol::lol::lol::cool:

E
eugene1
I had a 50 lb thrust single battery transom mount on my old 15' smokercraft. Didn't like it as wind would get me turned around and the motor wouldn't have the power to deal with it.

I think bow mounts are better for control.

G
grampa ron
I had a bow mount, autopilot, on my 17 ft boat for years. There is no doubt that it's the best way. I do not like the mechanical foot control. It forces you to sit up front on the bow and you must keep correcting it for the wind. You can set a heading with the autopilot and it will hold it. It's especially nice when jigging for kokanee. You don't need to anchor.

E
eugene1
Oh yeah this thread reminds me,

Forgot to say I have a sweet 50 lb thrust Minnkota saltwater Riptide for sale! It's the transom mount version. Works great on a db or small power boat. This week only I'm in EUG and could stand to not move it back with me.

It works great, let me know if your interested.