Town run steelhead?

H
HootYeah
So Im not sure if this is just a fatty rainbow or a winter steelhead/first return jack? From what I understand they are genetically the same...? Just whether or not they've made it out to sea yet? Caught this guy on saturday at the riffles right above jefferson street bridge. Swung a egg pattern dropper my first hour and half with no avail. Was actually my first fish to hook and net alone in my boat so it was pretty exciting! Seems the caddis fly guys always suggest a dropper style pattern to me yet somehow I always hook my steelhead on purple leech patterns. After I switched to a Popsicle pattern fly/streamer I got one big bite then landed this guy all within 15 mins. I caught all my steelhead this past summer on that same Popsicle pattern and didn't really think to also try it out now in the winter. Just wanted to share and maybe get some feedback on species.
steelhead.jpg

E
eugene1
Always a thrill getting them landed by yourself no matter the size. Looks like a resident trout to me- too much color to be an out migrating smolt and too small to be a steelie? Was it clipped?

Best,

H
HootYeah
Yes it was clipped, smoked it yesterday. The meat was beautifully pink/red very similar to the other fresh steelhead Ive caught. I thought the young stockers were typically kinda white meat. It was a pretty decent fighter too, considering I was on a 10# in relatively swift water. :)

H
HootYeah
What Im really trying to find out is if I was in the wrong for keeping it. I thought at first it was a steelhead so I clubbed it in the net. Then upon looking at the darn thing a little better I realized it might just be trout. Then when I cleaned it and saw the meat was red/pink I went back to thinking it was a steelhead. I never want to fish outside of regulations and would never do so intentionally but at the same time understand went in doubt, let it out~.....

R
rippin fish lips
Hatchery Rainbow trout. Probably flushed out of Alton Baker. I believe it is C&R right now clipped t rout not not. Could have changed tho, havent looked at the regs for the willy yet. Just the Mac.

P
plumb2fish
Looks like a stocked trout, most likely from Alton baker park. The hatchery trout are fed pellets that include the carotenoids(red coloring) from shrimp and other shell fish to give the meat some color...

H
HootYeah
It is catch and release for trout on the willamette right now. This is where my being in the wrong would stem from. Im just confused as to the deciding factors of how you know what a "sea-run"/anadromous rainbow is...

T
Throbbit _Shane
HootYeah said:
It is catch and release for trout on the willamette right now. This is where my being in the wrong would stem from. Im just confused as to the deciding factors of how you know what a "sea-run"/anadromous rainbow is...

In the Willamette zone • Rainbow trout over 20 inches are considered steelhead in streams.

Reactions: eugene1
R
rippin fish lips
Throbbit _Shane said:
In the Willamette zone • Rainbow trout over 20 inches are considered steelhead in streams.

Must be 24" to tag on the willy and mac.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Appears to me, nonadipose fin-clipped steelhead greater than 24 inches all year can be tagged. But for fin clip they must be over 20".

D
dtikey
Throbbit _Shane said:
Appears to me, nonadipose fin-clipped steelhead greater than 24 inches all year can be tagged. But for fin clip they must be over 20".

yup Shanes got it right and not hitting on you HOOTYEAH but this is why they print the reg book every year because if a stater does happen by your s.o.l. Is a nice trout though

H
HootYeah
I like to enjoy most all fish I catch so if its legal Im going to keep it. Basically all I have to worry about this time of year is if its 20" right? And fin clipped of course...