Too early? Bad water? Wrong technique?

T
thongprong
FOOEY! Who starts those rumors about the "great" steelie bite is on? My guys and I have been out on the Clack four times in the past two weeks, wettin' the line in every hole from River Mill to High Rocks, and have yet to get ANY sort of hit. And have yet to see anyone else with any success. And we've hit 'em with everything....bobber & yarnie, bobber & eggs, bobber & shrimp, bobber & jig, steelies, plunkin' a spin & glo with shrimp or eggs, pink worms, a wide assortment of spinners, .....about the only thing we haven't tried is a friggin' cut plug piece 'o meat! Today, just for kicks, we decided to go up to the hatchery at McGiver and snoop around. A hatchery worker came out to see what we were up to, and we told him our sad tale. He said, (and I swear this is no BS), they had not seen ONE returning steelie yet this year, and didn't expect to see any for at least three weeks!
We suspect that perhaps some of these rumors going around, about the great run of chrome happening now, get started by some desperate for business drift guides. I hope not! You guys are supposed to be the experts. And I'm sure most of you are honest and true to the sport. But the rest of us, your customers, expect accurate info and reports.
And it appears to be the same situation on the Sandy and the Wilson. We've been fishing them both...in some gorgeous water, for nothing but tired feet and empty wallets wasted on gas, tackle and bait. And its not just us. It's everybody.
I fear that a drastic tactic may be necessary to restore our once glorious fishery. Has anyone ever considered a dreaded moratorium. Five years might be all they need to make a real comeback. I'd like to believe my grandkids, and they're grandkids will be able to enjoy the thrill of landin' a big chrome steelie.

Comments?

H
halibuthitman
comments?...... ive caught 28 since thanksgiving, on a flyrod..from the bank, without a boat... you can shove your moratorium up your ass... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up into the cheap seats.... If John Wayne was alive he would slap you for that kind of talk, But I do feel for you, and it will come.. you need to cast at least one more time-

S
steelie_killa
Im the same as u bro...but with me ive been fortunate enough to land some native winters so im not icthin yet...hopefully the next one is a hatchery...gotta bribe the old lady to babysit so i can fish...lol

T
todd_brooks
I think your right, anyone who's willing to hang up the old rods for five years or so should do it, for the fish's sake.

N
nativefish
todd_brooks said:
i think your right, anyone who's willing to hang up the old rods for five years or so should do it, for the fish's sake.
here here!

L
LawyerBob
I feel your pain, except on different rivers. I've started treating steelhead/salmon fishing more like a day in the woods than fishing. I'll hit a lake when I really want to bring something home. Haha.

To be fair, ODFW indicated the catch had improved on the Clack only for those who knew the river well (read: knew what rock to stand on), with some slow days and some good days (read: dramatically fluctuating catch rates).

Not exactly a great report going in to last weekend, but not terrible.

T
Tacomasteelheader
How about just wrong locations there is way better rivers than those two that are loaded with fish. ? :/

S
Silvers&Steelies
I've tried a lot too on the Clackamas. Just got done getting skunked and haven't seen much myself. Only action I saw was in December and I've only landed one hatchery fish that was in December. Hoping it's just a late run instead of a bad year.

S
steelhead_stalkers
thongprong said:
FOOEY! Who starts those rumors about the "great" steelie bite is on? My guys and I have been out on the Clack four times in the past two weeks, wettin' the line in every hole from River Mill to High Rocks, and have yet to get ANY sort of hit. And have yet to see anyone else with any success. And we've hit 'em with everything....bobber & yarnie, bobber & eggs, bobber & shrimp, bobber & jig, steelies, plunkin' a spin & glo with shrimp or eggs, pink worms, a wide assortment of spinners, .....about the only thing we haven't tried is a friggin' cut plug piece 'o meat! Today, just for kicks, we decided to go up to the hatchery at McGiver and snoop around. A hatchery worker came out to see what we were up to, and we told him our sad tale. He said, (and I swear this is no BS), they had not seen ONE returning steelie yet this year, and didn't expect to see any for at least three weeks!
We suspect that perhaps some of these rumors going around, about the great run of chrome happening now, get started by some desperate for business drift guides. I hope not! You guys are supposed to be the experts. And I'm sure most of you are honest and true to the sport. But the rest of us, your customers, expect accurate info and reports.
And it appears to be the same situation on the Sandy and the Wilson. We've been fishing them both...in some gorgeous water, for nothing but tired feet and empty wallets wasted on gas, tackle and bait. And its not just us. It's everybody.
I fear that a drastic tactic may be necessary to restore our once glorious fishery. Has anyone ever considered a dreaded moratorium. Five years might be all they need to make a real comeback. I'd like to believe my grandkids, and they're grandkids will be able to enjoy the thrill of landin' a big chrome steelie.

Comments?

I know for a fact that the Sandy has been having a record year and very big hatchery steelhead! If you are not catching maybe take a look at what you are doing and try and fix it.

R
RoryONeal
I was doing some volunteer work with the hatchery program on Saturday down at the Whittaker trap and I helped milk the eggs and semen out of at least 50 fish. Two of them were at least 13 pounds each.

T
Thuggin4Life
I love the rumor chasers....

O
OnTheDrop
I've got over 50 confirmed fish from just two of the systems you've mentioned, including several 8-10 fish days...

L
LawyerBob
SteelmonKiller20 said:
I've got over 50 confirmed fish from just two of the systems you've mentioned, including several 8-10 fish days...

Sounds like someone has either some serious know-how or a case of the interwebs. :) Much respect if the former. Got any simple tips regarding the Sandy or Wilson? I've been trying those on foot lately. Occasionally take my drift boat to the Wilson, when I can fill the seats (not regularly) and the pass is safe. Might try the same on the lower Sandy in the near future, subject to participants and weather.

Also, any credence to the reports ODFW puts up each Wednesday? I tend to use that when selecting a river. Problem is it's backward looking (i.e, last weekend people had succes at X). Haha.

O
OnTheDrop
LawyerBob said:
Sounds like someone has either some serious know-how or a case of the interwebs. :) Much respect if the former. Got any simple tips regarding the Sandy or Wilson? I've been trying those on foot lately. Occasionally take my drift boat to the Wilson, when I can fill the seats (not regularly) and the pass is safe. Might try the same on the lower Sandy in the near future, subject to participants and weather.

Also, any credence to the reports ODFW puts up each Wednesday? I tend to use that when selecting a river. Problem is it's backward looking (i.e, last weekend people had succes at X). Haha.

I'd be lying if I didn't say there wasn't any from the Web but the majority I'm talking about are all from a few buddys. Some simple tips I can share about the Wilson and Sandy are the general fish accordingly to the water. ex. Brighter colors murkier water more simple colors the clearer the water is etc. On the Wilson this time of year I like to fish the upper stretches. My go to up-high is usually bobber&jig as the water is usually more clear. Try downsizing accordingly if what you're throwing isn't getting action in likely spots. On the sandy I wouldn't be going to the river without Sand shrimp or Coon shrimp...IDK what it is about those two but some days that's all I can get 'em to hit.

When I fish I'm constantly changing rig-ups, Colors and adding all sorts of tweeks to my methods. So maybe a shorter version of this would be to constantly change up what you're doing if you're not getting into fish and you know they're there.

L
LawyerBob
Thanks for that! The rigs I've been trying are spinner, spoon, drift bobber (corkys & wool with lead) and bobber & jigs. Even a few kwik/flatfish. My biggest challenge, as I assume is many newer anglers', is simply finding a stretch where fish actually are and/or matching the right gear to the water I'm working. Lakes are so much easier. I've also probably been targeting water that's moving far too fast. If it's going at a jog or run, how can I expect fish to have a chance to see my offering? (=

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Lmao

Last edited:
M
MattZ
There are people catching. This is my first year fishing steelhead and im trying on fly. soon ill hook up, but its fun going no matter what. I would love it if there were less people on the water.

I finally had a drift to myself on the Sandy on monday. I got to the water nice and early at dabney. I was the first one out there and that run was looking sweet. it was a warm overcast morning, the water was dropping and a nice green color, just clearing a touch. I got to the head of the run, started casting, got maybe 10 casts into it when a boat came into view. some jagoff "guide" or just some guy and his buddies decided to end their drift in my run and then blast the outboard motor and shoot back up river. they did it to me 3 times before i finally left. they'd get right down to me, half way through the run, then fire up the outboard, churn up the water, and shoot up 3 runs and do it all over. disgusting. where is the etiquette? by the 3rd time they seemed to be laughing, and i shot my best 2hand cast right at those jerks before winding in my fly and leaving. this is why steelhead fishing has not appealed to me in the past. it seems to attract a certain type... not my type.

F
flytrekker1007
MattZ, that was me in the boat on Monday.....J/K. But I fished the Sandy on Monday with no luck. I have also fished the Clack just about every weekend since the end of December, and only losing a big native. But I went to a coastal river a few weeks ago and me and a buddy went 6 for 9 one day and 6 for 12 the other. I fished this river every winter down at college and always had great results. In my opinion the Clack isn't what it used to be, and the funding for the Eagle Creek hatchery isn't there. I love to fish, so being out on the Clack hoping to get one is worth the wait to me.

H
halibuthitman
Boat motors don't screw up your fishing... it actually wakes lethargic fish and can turn them on, I frequently gun the jet through a hole before I fish it.. steelhead are spooky, but not the kind of spooky that takes them off the bite.. biggest mistake I see on the sandy is people fishing for steelhead in chinook water-

M
MattZ
whether or not a boat motor disrupts fish, it did disrupt my fishing... as did them fishing through the run I was on. I know some people throw rocks at fish to move them too, but im not one of them.

As far as "fishing for steelhead in chinook water", that means nothing to me at all. I have not caught either. For me there is no such thing as chinook water. I understand your meaning, but its not terribly helpful is it?

Perhaps you can enlighten me, as I'm new, and you apparently have caught steelhead... At Dabney, one walks out and there is an obvious run, it is about 4 ft deep and gravel at the top. Then it drops off a shelf, the near side is shallow, the far side is a deeper bank the current is pushing into. fast at the head, slowing and getting deeper and sandy bottom at the tail. Some large boulders on the far side create eddies. The next run the boats all sprint to, it runs under that bridge with all the fences around it. I'm going to get down there to the far bank next time.

Where in this top run at Dabney is the "steelhead water" and where is the "chinook water"? Is there steelhead water in that top run?

I focus most of my effort on the head area, and the shelf/dropoff as the water is moderately fast, a nice depth, and has some structure on the bottom. I start right up where all the downed logs are in the water and its quite shallow and work my way down. I try and cover the water on the inside edge as well. I have no experience to draw from, just fishy instinct here. I may be totally wrong as to where fish are. I really am clueless, i'll admit. I want to fish at the tailout there by the boat ramp, but i don't know.

Maybe ill hook a chinook first...