Eastern Oregon report (above McNary Dam)

L
lizardman
Well saw a few steelhead taken from the bank right by the boat dock just on the east side of McNary dam.

I helped an older gentleman net a nice hatchery steely that was about 24 inches long (he didn't have a net with him and I did), and then I set about fishing. They were catching them on shrimp about two feet under a bobber.

I didn't get any good bites (ones I could see) but did have a smolt chase a spinner and had some eggs eaten by something but the wind picked up and I couldn't really tell what was going on with my bait. Also was trying to mind my pole and my son's pole as he was with me but wasn't really paying attention to his pole or fishing (too much on his mind today with him knowing one of his friends is coming over to spend the night). I did have him pick up a couple bags of garbage while we were there to keep him occupied while I tried to fish (he actually didn't complain and it is a sign off in his Cub Scout book... he is a bear this year).

I ended up only staying down there a couple hours from noon to about 2:30 but the wind had kicked up and chased me out (20-30 mile an hour winds).

Dave

kirkster
kirkster
Thanks for the reply lizardman I talked to my dad this eve. He also lives in boardman. He was above McNary Trolling wiggle warts on wednesday and got a nice steelie He said he fished for about three hours from like 8:00 am till around 11:00 am

L
lizardman
kirkster said:
Thanks for the reply lizardman I talked to my dad this eve. He also lives in boardman. He was above McNary Trolling wiggle warts on wednesday and got a nice steelie He said he fished for about three hours from like 8:00 am till around 11:00 am

Hey Kirk,
have your dad get ahold of me sometime, I would love to have a fishing buddy.

On a side note it has rained most of the night here so the salmon in the Umatilla should be shooting upstream.

Dave

kirkster
kirkster
I will do that, if you want to shoot me a pm with your # Ill pass it on to him. Hes always lookig for fishing buddys as well. Hes pretty much old school and to this day he still doesn't have a computer. He has no idea was he is missing out on as far as the info from the net.

J
joesnuffy
superb report. I'm glad i'll be in that area here shortly.