Threaded furled leader vs mono leader???

S
spmpdr
So i just bought some 5wt threaded furled leader and i have to say i am pretty impressed with it. I am impressed by how much better my casting lays out straighter and farther than with mono. i did notice that the threaded leader does hit the water harder than the mono and causes more of disturbance on the water. What are everyone's experiences with this stuff???? likes and dislikes?????

H
halibuthitman
keep your rod tip higher on the delivery, and spray the whole leader with floatant often-

F
FlyBum
I'd only use it for fishing dries, and that's about all it's worth to me. But, my tapered leader does that just fine too. So I don't use it because it's can be a hassle and too specific for the way I fish. Which, I only fish dries to risers when there is a hatch. I don't use dries as a searching pattern either, I tie some good attractor nymphs for that.

H
halibuthitman
furled leaders work very well on fast rods with a ton of spine, like the sage rockets or a lot of the stiffer lamis and also some of the cheaper rods with poor action, a 7' furled mono leader will flex and stretch 3.5 inches, protecting your tippet and allowing you to fish lighter tippets with stiffer more aggressive rods, if you have a medium or slow action rod all a furled leader will do is roll out your fly better but without the floatant the furled leader will sink faster, I use furled leaders when dredging the steel, I lose about half the fish I used to becouse I can have a fish get in heavy water or jump and keep much more tension on the fly than if you have to just let him run with say a climax leader or just straight fish line-

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I use a braided leader-butt on most of my rods - for all the fishing I do. Nymphing, streamers, dries, wets. I prefer them to plain mono leaders because they turn over flies easier. The braided leader will let me fish deer hair and cork bass bugs upto a size 1 or 2 with a 6 weight line. As Brad pointed out - they also cushion shock way more than typical straight leaders - so you can fish lighter tippets, or land larger fish.