Thread for coast salmon 2012

P
plumb2fish
Hooked a nice one on Saturday and handed it off to this young lady that had never caught a salmon before....35lbs of chrome.... hand off.jpg

F
fishingprofessor
At the jaws...

G
gloomis85
Not as easy or relaxing but it can be done from the bank!

Not as easy or relaxing but it can be done from the bank!

Nice fish everyone! I have been having a heck of time getting the big ones to the net an have seen many lost but here are a few decent ones that didn't get so lucky.
081012074717.jpg2012-08-30_14-14-48_883.jpg2012-09-04_14-18-39_570.jpg

N
Noahk
Spent Saturday in the Astoria area, managed one 20" jack on a coastal tributary and picked up this beauty later in the afternoon at the mouth of the Big C. 22 lbs of yak fishing awesomeness :)

005.jpg
009.jpg
012.jpg
017.jpg

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
cool, and I thought that I had experienced chaos salmon fishing, damn, cool stories. roger

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
eugene1 said:
.....weird thing is she (a silver) was fin clipped

See you soon coast!

FYI- there is a STEP hatchery up the N. fork Siuslaw (Munsel Creek) that has been releasing clipped silvers into the river through Munsel Lake/Creek, we are hoping to see more and more of them returning each year ...cheers, roger

E
eugene1
rogerdodger said:
FYI- there is a STEP hatchery up the N. fork Siuslaw (Munsel Creek) that has been releasing clipped silvers into the river through Munsel Lake/Creek, we are hoping to see more and more of them returning each year ...cheers, roger

Thanks for that, I knew that the STEP releases some, but a very small percentage? Any idea of the clipped vs. nates in the Siuslaw?

R
rippin fish lips
Nice fish everyone! Going out tomorrow hoping i can contribute to this thread.

M
mikeredding
eugene1 said:
Thanks for that, I knew that the STEP releases some, but a very small percentage? Any idea of the clipped vs. nates in the Siuslaw?

I believe that I read something a couple of years ago that stated the run was about 2-3% clipped.

E
eugene1
What a killer start to page 2 your 1st pic is! Does it take longer to land a nook while on a kayak?

Noahk said:
Spent Saturday in the Astoria area, managed one 20" jack on a coastal tributary and picked up this beauty later in the afternoon at the mouth of the Big C. 22 lbs of yak fishing awesomeness :)

005.jpg

E
eugene1
rippin fish lips said:
Nice fish everyone! Going out tomorrow hoping i can contribute to this thread.

Best of luck rippin! Let us know how it went down either way, mid week is kind of slow for reports...

E
eugene1
mike, nice way to change up the avatar! what a haul!

mikeredding said:
I believe that I read something a couple of years ago that stated the run was about 2-3% clipped.

E
eugene1
Good chatting with you tonight trapper, and thx for the new to me herring rigging. I like the way that he buried the trailing hook into the bait. We'll try it out as sometimes I think our loose trailing hook is twirling out of the salmon's strike zone resulting in baits that are either bitten half off or stripped. Hate seeing that when we check them because I know something hit it but did not stick.

Could increase the hook up ratio by 2-fold on my boat?

Best,

97trapper said:

N
Noahk
eugene1 said:
What a killer start to page 2 your 1st pic is! Does it take longer to land a nook while on a kayak?
I don't think so, the hardest part (after hooking one) is netting it. It takes a little practice but after a couple of times it's not too bad. With the kayak you may tighten the drag nearly all the way down and let the fish tow you around a little. There is enough resistance to slow the fish down but not enough to snap the line. It's been a lot of years since I landed a salmon from a powerboat but my success rate has been much higher on the kayak than a PB. That could be luck but I can't really say for sure.

R
rippin fish lips
16lber that fought like a 30lber.

16lber that fought like a 30lber.

Today i had the opportunity to hop on an open seat for some fall chinook fishing. It was a slow day on the river today. Overcast which cooled the water temp down a lil bit, then the tide came in and so did the cold water and more fish. Saw lots and lots of fish on the finder, it even got blacked out more then a few times.

This cooler weather and 6foot tides have got the fish movin. 4 rods with green labels, 3 rods with herring lunker lotion and one with anise. This nook fell for a green label with herring lunker lotion. about 20" of dropper line, just lead and bait.

The fish instantly took off 30 feet of line as soon as we got it out of the rod holder. I got the pleasure of fighting the first fish and the only fish of the day.

photo3-1.jpg

2012fallnook.jpg

Right after the fight

Last edited:
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rippin fish lips said:
There is a lot more fish in the systems then people think. This cooler weather and 6foot tides have got the fish movin. 4 rods with green labels, 3 rods with herring lunker lotion and one with anise. This nook fell for a green label with herring lunker lotion. about 20" of dropper line, just lead and bait.

great job!

and if you were on the Siuslaw, more fish there Thursday will be fantastic news to all the boats here fishing the river, those crossing the bar seem to be doing fine....(@Mike: :mad:)

on Wednesday, we trolled the outgoing tide from the launch to south crabbing dock, tide turned and we rode the incoming from there all the way to the railroad bridge. no action, no other boats (and there were plenty) had any action around us, and our Lowrance marked just 2 sure Kings the whole time- both were down between CG and crabbing dock (there was a guy alone in a boat chasing them around and jigging for them), 2 more possible Kings below the bridge. Big schools of bait fish in many areas, and plenty of baby salmon heading out, so we were marking lots of them but as for big fish, they were few and far between on Wednesday, certainly less than we were marking the week before Labor Day.

on the bright side, it was such nice weather, we ended up cruising the N. Fork to Bender landing to scan/record the bottom and depth for possible coho fishing later this year (the hatchery coho come from up the N. Fork, so hoping there will be a good concentration of them holding in some of the deep holes we located...something to do after tagging 2 wilds each in the main river)..that river would be great kayak fishing water.

heading out later today to fish the incoming tide from 11am to 5pm, light winds expected and I sure hope to find a river full of big fish! Fish or no fish, I will make sure and post tonight what we observe in case anyone is heading over here for the weekend.

cheers, roger

C_Run
C_Run
. 4 rods with green labels, 3 rods with herring lunker lotion and one with anise. This nook fell for a green label with herring lunker lotion. about 20" of dropper line, just lead and bait.
2012fallnook.jpg

I kept waiting for you to say "but I was trolling a spoon." Way to go.

E
eugene1
Nice one rippin, sometimes it's a grind but at least you got the one.

M
mikeredding
rogerdodger said:
those crossing the bar seem to be doing fine....(@Mike: :mad:)

Haha. Thanks for the report Roger. We are planning on going back out there tomorrow morning if mother nature allows. If not we will be on the river.

Last edited: