The thrill of carp angling

C
cowboysfan
I had never Known that ppl actually target Carp until my addiction to OFF the last few months and all the carp threads. What is it that makes you carp anglers want to go after them? I am being sincere in my curiosity, I feel that I may be missing something by not trying this sometime. Also if some one has ate this fish before what did you think of it and how was it prepared?

T
Throbbit _Shane
Iv fished for them a few times recently. I fished for them just because I wanted to catch a big a fish since we couldnt get the bass to bite. They are good fighters and can grow huge. They may not be the prettiest of fishes or the tastiest, but they are sure fun to catch!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
They are stealthy and strong as a chinook when they are hooked. My late husband and I used to fish for them using wine soaked bread balls. That was the only time either of us drank wine...of course, you don't have to use wine. :lol: I think we did it because the friend teaching us the technique was a bit of a lush. As far as eating, they aren't bad but a bit greasy. You just have to be very careful with the ba-zillion bones they seem to have.

J
john montana
On the fly it is all about the stalk. You have to see the fish to catch it, and in most cases you have to physically see them inhale the fly. They don't hold and artificial for more than a split second, and you won't feel the take except for the rarest of occasions.

So picture it...you spot a tail breaking the surface 200 feet away...a feeding carp. You sneak down the bank until you can see the fish. Head down rooting bugs and clams from the rocks, tail slashing the surface. The cast is good and the fly lands about eight inches away. As it sinks a big, white bucket mouth opens and vacuums the fly in, you rear back and set the hook!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpRwR8wEvm8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The fish races out of the shallows, peeling 90 ft of fly line off your reel, and goes deep I to your backing on the first run. Eventually, you bring the fish in and slide it into the net.

That is when it goes right. Most of the time, it goes like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVtymk4DuG8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

But the best part is that all of that crazy drama can result in a fish that around here averages between 7-10 lbs. and they get a lot bigger than that!
9b9a874d.png

F
flocaster
Can anyone recommend a good place for a first time carp fisherman that not too far away from Florence?

I
igquick
Well put Montana!...on top of that the fight can last forever...ill never forget my first carp that was fighting 10o clock at night...I thought I was reeling in a zombie...my reel and rod was useless after the fight... I get them all at salish ponds but sofar they have been small lately, but well worth

V
Van
flocaster said:
Can anyone recommend a good place for a first time carp fisherman that not too far away from Florence?

You can drive over to Eugene area fish Fern Ridge res. There is also another spot at a park in Eugene referred to as the West Eugene Golden Boneyard. I will let you try and figure that one out....

Those are the only carp waters i can think of close to you flocaster.