The name says it all... hello everyone.

N
NoobTooner
thanks squatch! what river is that you're fishing out is alsea? some nice looking water out there.

R
RunWithSasquatch
If you're talking about my avatar, thats the Siletz River gorge, march native.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
NoobTooner said:
So you see the open kind of locks i have on the toon right? ..at the bottom there's a ring pin so they're pinned in place. i can't realy see them falling out. so are they known to break? should i be looking for a closed ring type?

It's not them falling out it's the danger of breaking the shaft. The clamp on type are not as prone to this by generally being made of stronger metals, but the shear velocity of hitting a rock at full stroke while moving balls out down the river has a funny way of ruining your day, that's not to say you won't break them just by rowing. I have done that many times... The type usually installed on pontoons are made of brass, and brass is not the strongest of metals.. You just never know what might happen.

Last edited:
N
NoobTooner
GraphiteZen said:
It's not them falling out it's the danger of breaking the shaft. The clamp on type are not as prone to this by generally being made of stronger metals, but the shear velocity of hitting a rock at full stroke while moving balls out down the river has a funny way of ruining your day, that's not to say you won't break them just by rowing. I have done that many times... The type usually installed on pontoons are made of brass, and brass is not the strongest of metals.. You just never know what might happen.

hm.. that's realy interesting. i would have never thought that that would be the weak link. I'll have to pick up a spare set and keep em in the ol lock box for just such an occasion.

i ended up pick out a set of weighted handled lamiglas shafts and am curently struggling with the whole tether situation. i hear that you should have a breakaway link in the tether in case the oar gets stuck. but with the weighted handles.. they're gonna sink like a rock.
any advise as to how to deal with this????

longer tether maybe? man i just hate to loose one of the beauties. they aren't cheep.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I run a set of NRS teathers on my Sotar, and really if some crazy thing happend and your oar hung up, your boat is way heavy enough to snap the strap, or snap with out flinching. Ive never heard of this being an issue, in my opinion theres no hazard in that fashion.

N
NoobTooner
so if.. well there's just no getting it back then i guess.

hm...
wonder if you could add a float to the strap..
that would be so damn bulky though...

i'll have to meditate on this a bit more.
i'll come up with something.
i'm doing a lot of DIY and fabing a lot of stuff to fit my needs with this frame.
pretty much the last things now are
drybags , an emergency throwbag and a decent hand pump.

we'll be finishing up the trailer flat top and the rod holders tomorow. oh and prob gonna have to replace this crap mushroom anchor too but it's coming along pretty well so far. .

C
colbypearson
doesn't look like a noob tube to me haha that things heck of a toon!

N
NoobTooner
colbypearson said:
doesn't look like a noob tube to me haha that things heck of a toon!

lol right...?:D yeah, she's a beast. it's me that's the noob:shock:.
late nights staring at this frame and OVERTHINKING EVERYTHING:think:.
so far though,this is a total kick in the pants! these guys here... the guys down at A&B.. everyone's been very helpful (and patient) getting this thing outfitted properly.

BTW... added a rope bag and oar tethers last night. went with a 4ft tether WITHOUT a snap-link.thought about it.. and i'd rather snap/break a blade than loose a shaft to the depths.

anyways pretty soon it's gonna be go time. then we'll have to see how well i've been paying attention in class. i.e. if i can make it down a run with my hat on!:pray::pray::pray::pray:

A
AlaskaKid
Hey Tooner, I like your pontoon thing! Can two people carry it? And how much can you get something like that for? Thanks! AK kid

G
Growbug
NoobTooner said:
i hear that you should have a breakaway link in the tether in case the oar gets stuck. but with the weighted handles.. they're gonna sink like a rock.
any advise as to how to deal with this????

get one of those zip line thingies. line in stored inside with tag ends coming out, when you pull the line extends. can't remember what they are called. Put a 5-6" float on the end, large enough to extend the line if the oar falls overboard.
If you do get one taking a dive, its resting place is marked by the bouy.
Saw this setup on one of the drift boats i have been looking at. Thought it was an excellent idea.
It also gives you peace of mind. Means that when your oar goes, you dont have to panic and lean and grab it. You can get your spare and go back.

N
NoobTooner
Growbug said:
get one of those zip line thingies. line in stored inside with tag ends coming out, when you pull the line extends. can't remember what they are called. Put a 5-6" float on the end, large enough to extend the line if the oar falls overboard.
If you do get one taking a dive, its resting place is marked by the bouy.
Saw this setup on one of the drift boats i have been looking at. Thought it was an excellent idea.
It also gives you peace of mind. Means that when your oar goes, you dont have to panic and lean and grab it. You can get your spare and go back.

yes! now that's why i'm here. THANK YOU BUG!!!.
i'll have too look into this a bit, but that sound like a perfect idea.
hey if you remember what maker you saw that set up on let me know. i'd like to take a look at how they have it set up.

N
NoobTooner
AlaskaKid said:
Hey Tooner, I like your pontoon thing! Can two people carry it? And how much can you get something like that for? Thanks! AK kid

Thanks Alaska. I'm having a blast with it so far and it hasn't even seen the water yet.
anyway to answer your question...
no, two people can't carry it while it's assembled. you have to ether use a trailer or take the frame and tubes all down to the water separately. on it's own though the frame is quite heavy even for two people.

my suggestion would be too look into getting an aluminum frame that can be broken down if you don't have a trailer.
this would mean more trips back up to the truck but a considerably lighter load.

now as far as cost goes.. you're realy gonna have to look on line a lot. mainly for a frame. consider what you want to use it for. how much space you realy need etc. (how much space you HAVE for that matter) the tubes are easy to find and most frames you'll find will accomidate 18-25in tubes.

another thing to consider is how much work you are capable of doing yourself. the reason i say this is because just getting a pontoon frame and tubes does not make you ready to go out and jump into the water... there are TONS of other things you'll need.
some of these things you can only buy.. but some of them if you're handy enough, can be fabricated..
vests, OARS!, oarlock, oarstops, oar tethers, seats, seat swivel or sliding mounts, anchors, ropes, straps, bungies, coolers, dry bags, emergency equiptment like helmets, throw lines/bags... these are just some of the things you'll prob need and depending on if you're using it for fishing, the list can grow... and grow...

..think about it.
that's all I'm saying.

G
Growbug
NoobTooner said:
yes! now that's why i'm here. THANK YOU BUG!!!.
i'll have too look into this a bit, but that sound like a perfect idea.
hey if you remember what maker you saw that set up on let me know. i'd like to take a look at how they have it set up.

it was most definitely a self build. the floats were 6" plastic kiddie orange soccer balls filled with expanding spray foam, bolt was epoxied into one end.
you should see some of the things that people have done to or added to their drift boats. This setup was on an OLD boat owned by an OLD owner, when i pointed it out he said that he had lost a good few oars before his kid gave him the idea. Boat was a wreck with rot. Owner was a mine of information and stories.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
N
NoobTooner
Growbug said:
it was most definitely a self build. the floats were 6" plastic kiddie orange soccer balls filled with expanding spray foam, bolt was epoxied into one end.
you should see some of the things that people have done to or added to their drift boats. This setup was on an OLD boat owned by an OLD owner, when i pointed it out he said that he had lost a good few oars before his kid gave him the idea. Boat was a wreck with rot. Owner was a mine of information and stories.

yknow i wonder if we could start a thread strictly for owner fabricated mods. then sub cat sections for pontoon boats, dbs and sleds.
i bet a lot of people could benefit from something like that.:think:

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
NoobTooner said:
yknow i wonder if we could start a thread strictly for owner fabricated mods. then sub cat sections for pontoon boats, dbs and sleds.
i bet a lot of people could benefit from something like that.:think:

That might be a little vague, but I would definitely stand behind separate sub-categories for inflatables and solid hull boats within the boat section itself. They are entirely different animals indeed! I'll hit up Anatoliy for it. Great idea!

N
NoobTooner
right!? I think4 the tubes & frame i paid 9. then 420 oars, about 100 er so on ropes, 150 to convert the trailer, ropebags/rear webbing/a ton of staps, ties & brackets all fabbed. prob another bill on misc stuff. oh, an anchor will run ya another 70....

....thats not even the tip of the iceberg.
safety equiptment...300...
planning on fishinig?
fish rigging... 100!(assuming of course that u have rods, reels, tackle an lic.)
want to bring food ... 100bux....

see where this is goin?

ITS PRETY MUCH LIKE THIS

B reak
O ut
A nother
T housand

Last edited:
N
NoobTooner
GraphiteZen said:
That might be a little vague, but I would definitely stand behind separate sub-categories for inflatables and solid hull boats within the boat section itself. They are entirely different animals indeed! I'll hit up Anatoliy for it. Great idea!

thanks. that would be an awsome addition... my2cents. ill keep an eye out .

B
beaverfan
NoobTooner said:
just sayin hey.. and seeing if i could post here. for some reason i can't post to the classifieds? anyway i'll be headed up to the clack this weekend for some good old bankie action.
give you an update then.

in the meanwhile and the reason i'm here,
I'm just into my first pontoon.
14'/6 1/2' w/22'' tubes.. woooohoooo!!!!
can't WAIT TO HIT THE WATER
but before i can im looking for some oars.
9ft er so?
anyone help with some advice and or OARS.
also the rig is pretty bare so please feel free to pm me any esentials you might have for sale.

tight lines everyone.

Ps.
admins :rolleyes:please excuse the post here but like i said earlier i can't seem to post to the buy/sell sections of the forums.

[

It's a bit late but that's an sweet toon man! Congrats!

N
NoobTooner
beaverfan said:
It's a bit late but that's an sweet toon man! Congrats!

wow! thanks beaverfan... and btw.... it's never too late to hear that.
listen, we just started a new sub cat in the boat section on pontoon boats. come check it out.

Top Bottom